Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Driven-Daily NA

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! drummingpariah's Avatar
    Drives
    '75 Datsun 280z (turbo), '97 MX-5
    Thanks Given
    Finished up the paint on one of the spare valve covers. Although these were raw aluminum from the factory, I've always thought wrinkle black is the 'proper' OEM style finish for an engine bay. At some point, I'll probably add more coats, but this is good enough to sit on a shelf for awhile.

I finally re-adjusted my seat and harnesses as well. It's considerably more comfy now.

Interesting fact worth noting: Of the four different styles of aftermarket seats I have, the Sparco Sprint is the only one that's narrow enough to clear both the sill bars of the roll cage and the transmission tunnel. It's also very comfy for daily driving, and is inexpensive. It's a steel framed seat, so it's definitely heavier than other carbon/kevlar or even fiberglass options, but I'd still highly recommend it for the NA chassis.

Most of my Saturday has been re-organizing the shop and getting rid of the old propane heater. Unfortunately, it isn't going to work in this shop because there's no working chimney. With that out, I can go with a much smaller heater. While I was cleaning up, I figured I'd finally wrap up teardown on a spare gsxr1100 block I had lying around. I knew it had been damaged, I just didn't know how bad it was.

I love these old oil-cooled engines, but when they die, they really go out with a bang ... then lots of clattering ... then valvetrain parts end up in the oil pan. For anyone who hasn't worked on a motorbike engine before, you're seriously missing out. The cylinder jugs are a separate component from the head and block, and the block can be split in half to remove the crank and transmission. It's kind of a fantastic design, not entirely unlike the air-cooled Porsche 911 engines (but much easier to work on).

A couple of valves punched a hole right through the #2 piston.

Then they stopped in the oil pan.

With all the abuse that engine appears to have seen, I don't expect it to be good for anything other than spare casings/covers and accessories. Too bad, but at least now I can box up what's worth keeping and scrap the rest.
    Last edited by drummingpariah; 10-24-2015 at 10:25 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drummingpariah For This Useful Post:

Slampen (10-26-2015),WASABI (12-02-2015)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I spent the whole day today going from this:

... to this:

It required disassembling the shelf in the engine room (it was shaped like a workbench, but particle board with a bunch of screws in it is just a shelf), and moving one of the benches in its place. Right now, the engine room is an absolute disaster, but I hope to get back to it after work a few days this week.

The second steel workbench will also go in there, freeing up even more space in the garage bay. Ideally, I want the garage bay to be for welding and car assembly/disassembly. To support that effort, the workbenches are coming out, and I'm building some metal stock storage:

Once I finish that up, I'll build a cart for the welders, and add some shelves in the closet and on the walls, so I can actually WORK in this space. I'll also need to finally get a bottle for the MIG welder, since TIG isn't always appropriate and flux-core is just too messy.

Preparing to start work is a lot of work.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Anyone who is interested in getting the 'inside scoop' on the Datsun build (or the rx7, for that matter) before they go live on the website is encouraged to follow on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/drivendaily.official/

Drives
    Thanks Given
    No real news, other than renewing my registration and passing the annual state safety inspection. The Datsun is off getting its cage installed

and the rx7 is in the garage now, so I can hopefully turn that into another backup daily driver for next season (maybe sooner?)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Well folks, it's been a lot of fun, but it's time for me to say goodbye. I'm handing the Driven Daily NA Miata off to a new owner, who will hillclimb it next season. I'm scrambling to complete a new daily driver by the end of Dec, but will deliver the Miata to its new owner on the 13th. Be sure to Like Driven-Daily on Facebook if you're interested in getting updates in the future!

If anyone's interested in the spare motors, transmission, interior pieces, intake manifold, OEM ECU, etc, send me an offer at jesse@driven-daily.com and I'll do my best to get it out to you. I won't have any of it for long, so stake your claim now. If it isn't already bolted to a car, it's up for grabs. I'll try to assemble a list of everything I have in the near future, but no promises.
    Last edited by drummingpariah; 12-02-2015 at 12:39 AM. Reason: stuff is for sale

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Goodbye, old friend. I'll see you at the next hillclimb.

In its place ...

Drives
    Thanks Given
    I just put together a video from the 2015 race season, just a series of slow-motion startline launches of the various cars that were racing during that run. I got most of them, along with a couple Miatas. I was surprised to see that my launch was pretty much perfect (car 365, right around 55 seconds). What you're looking for is a ratcheting movement, where the tires are right on the verge of losing grip, but aren't free-spinning. The other Miata (5x, ~40 seconds in) had the same ratcheting with a fancy torsen differential, but the black wheels make it difficult to distinguish exactly what's going on. I also found it really interesting to see how the different Subarus are front-bias or rear-bias, even those with identical gearboxes and differentials.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Cool video.

What is that contraption at 1:56?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Cool video.

What is that contraption at 1:56?
    A thing called the "Super Chicken" ... Subaru turbos on an AWD Audi v6 running methanol. I believe he holds more than half of our hill records right now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to drummingpariah For This Useful Post:

Martin (02-04-2016)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    A lot has happened since I was last on here, and the Datsun is coming along really nicely.

... but I couldn't stay away from Miatas for long. I should be back in one on Monday. Who's selling a roll bar for a hard top NA?

Drives
    Thanks Given
    For those who are interested, I've started a new NA build. Head over to the new thread to follow it.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ly-NA-(take-2)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678