Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temp Gauge Linearization?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I don't know if you like the digital or analog information displays, but a local guy here in the Atlanta area started producing PnP digital dashes for Miatas.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-01-2017),Brap (08-02-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (08-01-2017),HarryB (08-01-2017),JamieH (08-01-2017)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Gotta say, that is pretty trick.

I toyed around with the Torque app today. I've had one of those old rubber stick mats for cell phones for years. It's Superchips branded, got it as a freebie from the one time I was fortunate enough to attend SEMA in '07. Anyways, what I've getting at is that it seems to still work as intended even being as old as it is.

So I tried the HUD setting with Torque, placing my phone in the bottom left corner of the windshield, over the VIN tag. It works, but even with my phone's screen brightness turned to full, the sun negates it's use. So great for shaded or night driving, useless otherwise. Might look into one of the cheap universal HUD phone holders with a tinted screen or something.

I then tried the area between the shifter and tombstone. With the OEM cubby I get a little angle on my phone and it seems to hold just fine (didn't get a chance to really test it). No shifting issues though.

I had IAT and ECT gauges displayed. Hoping my phone stays in place on the sticky mat in the tombstone location. As it should be interesting to see what the IAT and ECT are during runs at MATG this year. And it should be handy for testing and collecting data for whenever I get around to fabbing an insolator box for the Monsterflow intake.

What I did notice was in the short time I had stopped at the grocery store to grab a single item, there was heatsoak of about 11°F of the IAT and about the same decrease in temp. for the ECT. Max I saw was about 150°F IAT and 205°F ECT (good ole idiot gauge just chlling at 180ish), and it didn't take too long for the IAT to drop about 15°, a few miles of cruising at most. Curious to find out what the IAT gets down to while cruising at highway speed for longer (which I know is partially dependent the weather).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamieH For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (08-01-2017),Greasemonkey2000 (08-07-2017)

Idling - Listen to it purr... Samer's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Silver Miata NBFL
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Samer View Post
    Damn, this is a modification I've been planning to do for a while now, as I don't like extra gauges if the stock ones can be used for that.

The guide I found a long time ago explains a different method, I wonder if this would solve the problems that Adam is talking about?

I really really want to avoid having more extra gauges in my car, as now I have a 1-DIN 3 gauges pod that I'm happy with (oil temp, AFR, turbo pressure).

Keep in mind that I have an NB, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Here's the guide:

https://www.miataforumz.com/how-40/h...emp-gauge-245/

BONUS I also found one to have a real working oil pressure gauge in NBs and was planning to do it as well. Has anybody in here tried it? https://www.miata.net/garage/opg2/index.html
    I'm doing both of these mods this week on an NB. I hope I don't set my car on fire, will report back when I have the cluster installed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12