Quote Originally Posted by MiataQuest View Post
I searched the internet for any known common issues and could not find any.
I understand that you are concerned about getting any potential problem fixed before the warranty expires.

Maybe you could try to define the location/source of the noise better for the dealer. You can do this by cutting a piece of 3/4" heater hose about 3 feet long. Hold one end of the hose to your ear and the other end near the engine. (Careful to keep hands clear of potential moving components!) Then have someone start the engine for you. You may need to do this several mornings to zoom into the actual location since the noise does not last long. But each time you should be able to get closer.
Once you have defined the location, then do the overnight start-up together with the dealer having the heater hose for the mechanic to use.

Myself, I do not think you have a problem as long as the noise is gone soon after start-up. It is probably just the lifters or the VVT as was stated.

However, I do not believe in using the 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil. The auto manufacturers only specify these thin oils to meet fuel economy standards, have one oil weight to cover all seasons, and cover idiot drivers that start their car cold to immediately start driving them hard.

After the car is out of warranty I would suggest running Mobil-1 10W-30 high mileage. Just drive it easy until it reaches operating temperature, then you can run the heck out of it. The Mobil-1 10W-30 flows well at low temperatures while providing higher protection under engine load. The "high mileage" version of this oil will provide the extra protection needed to reduce wear of your timing chain and VVT .
update; i got around the start up noise by pulling it in gear as soon as it starts, this pull the idle down to a normal idle. also, another find== im havinng spark knock at 4k rpm and goes away at 4500, checking the timing advance it was going to 50 degrees..when i changed from 10-30 to 0-30 it only goes to about 30-35 degrees.... therefore, should i conclude that the 10-30 was affecting the vvt causing the 50 degress advance.. for two weeks with the 0 30 it has shown normal advance timing. but still spark knock (another subject that i havent figured out using 93 octance)