Thread: My name is Zico, and this is my Chaste White NA8 build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! zco's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Chaste White
    Thanks Given

More track day preparations

Got three track days booked, figured I should make things a little more practical.

Got some new Ohlins DFV's to try out. Custom spring rates at F 10kg / R 7kg.

Installed shocks before mounting springs to check for clearances and max travel. Recommended settings are OK, but leaves your car at pretty much stock height.

Used my friends Enkei RPF1 with 225/45 RS4's to check clearances.

Full droop at recommended settings

Full compression at recommended settings

Took the shocks back out, fitted the springs on, and pulled out the kitchen scale.

Rear Tein's

Rear Ohlins'

Front Tein's

Front Ohlins'

Roughly 5.2kgs / 11.5lbs saved thanks to aluminium components. Anyway, installed them, put my Watanabes back on, and dropped it on the floor. Took the car for a quick spin to let the springs settle.

What it looks like at recommended settings hahah

My ideal ride height was 4.5" at pinch weld, but that basically left the rear riding on bump stops.

So I came to a compromise and raised it a little. Probably wont be enough travel for the track, but we'll see how it pans out on the day.

Onto the wheels / tyres. Having black wheels made it difficult to inspect for cracks / damage. I sold my black RPF1's off for a new silver set, and took the opportunity to wrap them in some A052's via Australia's distributor for motorsport tyres Gordon Levin Motorsport. They were also bringing in RE71RS, and the first batch to land on our shores is due in a few weeks time. I managed to secure 1 of only 3 sets (205/50R15) landing in October, and none scheduled for November. Fairly excited on that one.. They'll be wrapped on a set of new wheels I've got coming in early November

Anyway, these are now sold

..and here are how 205/50 A052's sit on the new silver RPF1's

On the topic of selling wheels, I actually sold my Watanabe's off as well. There are a few reasons I decided to sell these off. One reason being, the RE71R is discontinued and no tyre shop had any stock of 185/60R14 RE71R. It didn't make sense to keep them anymore, as I'd be struggling to find a decent set of tyres for them after my current set wears out. Found a local guy that had just picked up an NA8 so he was on the hunt for some Watanabes. Another reason being, I can't fit a stoptech big brake kit under it LOL, and I'd want to run those in the future if I decided to do a K Swap or Turbo my car. I'm also running short on storage space as well, having another set of wheels arrive in November meant i'd be in trouble in a few weeks time. I really dont think there are any other wheels that suit NA Miata's better than Watanabes! Bye bye Watanabes

Trackday prep continues..

Swapped out the tow strap for a set of Mazda Competition ones

Setrab oil cooler parts, didn't go for anything too big, figured 10rows was enough for now. Setrab thermostatic sandwich plate, Setrab -10AN fittings, and some some black nylon braided lines.

While the bumper was off, I remove my AC condensor as well, it was the last component of the AC system I had left on the car. Also fitted on new front badge on the bumper while the bumper was off (had it removed prior to paint correction), OEM cooling panel, and new bumper retainer / seals (old one was looking a tad worn. I still want to look pretty whilst trying to go fast )

All fitted

Next up was Frame rails. I put this off because I didn't want to drill holes in my car. However, having come off the track and getting beached on a ripple strip, I figured it'd probably be best to install these to prevent any further undercarriage damage.

Here's a copy + paste review I previously wrote on instagram:

With the increased track use of the car, I bought these purely to protect the underbody from any further damage.

Online reviews say the frame rails stiffen up the car, and I always correlated that to a harsher and more jarring ride, but it was the complete opposite. The car is now dramatically quieter, 80% reduction in rattles / knocks. It feels so comfortable over bumps and turns, and it seems like a much more responsive car. I assume the suspension is working more effectively / efficiently than before.

I wasn’t very impressed with the comfort levels of the Ohlins, but it seems like these rails are allowing me to take the full benefit of them now. The rails are easily in the top 3 mods I’ve done to the car (6spd swap, and Recaros are the other two).

Cost wise, they were almost double the price of some other brands found locally. More than happy to support a company if it allows them to continue to research and develop parts like this.

And that brings me up to date for end of September. My trackdays are booked for October 6th, 19th, and November 4th, so i'll be spending this weekend doing a last minute spanner check, torque wrenching all the bolts, bleeding the brakes and I should be good to go.

Looking forward to updating you guys with some trackday results!
    Last edited by zco; 09-29-2020 at 12:04 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zco For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (09-30-2020),dnaha (09-29-2020),Greasemonkey2000 (09-29-2020),MikeA (09-30-2020),tsingson (10-01-2020)