Thread: Chris' Mazda 323F V6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power hoodedreeper's Avatar
    Drives
    '92 Purple Supercharged
    Thanks Given
    Since buying the car, I knew the S14 wheels weren't going to be a 'forever' wheel. They're not a bad looking wheel and they do suit the car, but I felt the large flat spokes were abit boring.

I've spent countless hours browsing through selling sites and despite specific searches, I kept being presented with everything but what I was looking for.

I wanted to stay with 16s, I knew this would limit my search but I wasn't expecting it to be so difficult. Majority of results came back as 15" (I'm unsure if they're fit over the brakes) or 17" (can look too big on the car) or the wrong PCD.

Here are a few options,unfortunately I didn't have a HUUUGE budget which also didn't help the search.

Rota Fighter (Volk Racing CE28 reps) Not a huge fan of multi spokes

Japan Racing JR3/Rota Grid (Volk Racing TE37 reps)

Japan Racing JR11 (Weds SA-99R reps) again, quite a few spokes

I've always liked the Enkei RFP01 design and it works on alot of cars. It was one wheel I couldn't find in the specs I was after (at the time)

The Rota Slipstream were my first choice. I had these on the Motul K11 Micra, its a simple design which looks great

This grey 323F has the real deal Desmond Regamasters (or so the owner says)

Mazdaspeed installed their MS01 wheel on their Lantis models, which came in 16". But as you can imagine these can hold a good 2nd hand value

The more I searched for examples the more I prefered a 5 or 6 spoke design. I did come across a set of Work Equip 05s but by the time they're refurbed it'd be close to a 4 figure total. Plus my days of keeping polished lips clean are in the past from the Work Meister S1s on the purple MX5.

That's when I had a wheel design pop into my head which may tick all of the boxes. An OEM wheel from a rival manufacturer.

I sent out a few messages to people who may know the whereabouts of said wheel, which led me to a seller local to me. I immediately went to view them and providing they were all straight with no major damage or cracks, they'd be coming home with me.

The wheels had been stored for a number of years outside, but the lips had quite alot of brake dust embedded

I tried the strongest wheel cleaner/fall out remover I had and it didn't shift it at all. This meant I would struggle to clean them and the only way was a refurb.

I was able to get my hands on a knackered tyre in the same size as the Kumhos. I used this for testing on the car to make sure they cleared the arches and brakes.

With no spacers it was a pretty good fit and plenty of clearance. A small spacer would be required due to the centre bore being smaller than the 323F hub.

It was all steam ahead so I got it booked in for a refurb. A friend of a friend was able to do them for me for a cash price. I asked for them to be sprayed in a gunmetal colour. Their response was they do a light or a dark gunmetal. I didn't want it too light where it'd be silver, but I didn't want it too dark and it's almost black.

I left him to decide and hoped they came out ok.

I'm very very happy with the colour and the overall condition is great considering how much corrosion and pitting the wheels had originally.

I gave them a layer Meguiars Ultimate Wax to help seal them

Forged Nissan R32 GTR 16x8j ET30 (technically ET27, I have 3mm spacers fitted), 205/50R16 Kumho tyres

I lowered the BC Racing coilovers to eliminate the rear arch gap. Both axles were different heights! The front got lowered approx 10mm and the rear approx 15mm

The distance from the locking collars are:

Front: 40mm
    Rear: 135mm

I'm extremely happy with the result!

What do you think?

The Youtube video can be found here (I tried improving my 'cinematic' editing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6sT7wV61-c&t=2s

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoodedreeper For This Useful Post:

HarryB (05-13-2024),MaRcOp01o (05-17-2024),Martin (05-13-2024)