Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do first?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    I can't believe that most everyone is putting safety towards the last of things to do, or even completely leaving it out of the list altogether.

Since this is going to be the OP's DD car, I would do ALL maintenance work first (belts, hoses, TB, WP, etc, etc, including rotors and pads if needed). After that, I would focus on SAFETY. New tires if needed and a roll bar.

Just like I did with my BRG, first and foremost, I made damn sure it was road worthy as I drive it 100+ miles every day, five days a week. Guess what, it hasn't let me down once in the past year that I've owned it, which I've put well over 29k miles on it already. I would not hesitate to hop in it right now and drive from Florida all the way to Alaska and back... Twice!

After getting all the maintenance stuff out of the way, I still had enough cash left over for a new suspension. The BRG had the original 20 year old, tired hardware under it. The rear shocks bottomed out a lot (actually, I was riding on the bump stops 95% of the time), but it was still safe. The only reason I chose the suspension over the roll bar was comfort. I was tired of being jolted all the time like riding a 10-speed bike at 75mph for 100 miles a day. LOL

Safety is next on the list, even for me. I've been wanting to get a roll bar for the longest time, but $$$ is what's holding me back. One of these days...
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop
    1991 "Tardis Blue" BRG #581 <- SOLD

Idling - Listen to it purr... Skomee's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Roll bar first. Then wheels and tires, sway bar, coil overs and then turbo. Maintenance along the way as needed.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! itzzspencer's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    i usually do this with every car i get.

tires > brakes > typical maintenance > coilovers/shocks.

then go crazy. though id recommend a roll bar asap if youre as paranoid as i am

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Thanks Given
    speaking of rolling i saw a car flip today, it was crazy and made me bump up rollbar on my list of wants/needs. but thanks for the opinions/suggestions guys! they are really helping, i'm gonna do a little maintenance first, i'm still contemplating whether or not to get a hardtop since the softtop seems like its falling apart, i'll wait to see what my other car sells for first, if anything i'll go rollbar first after maintenance and then coilovers, if i can somehow manage to make my softtop not suck. and leak.

Drives
    1990 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    hardtop looks so good, but if you love top down as much as i do... it would be on the lower list of priorities

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! afc2112's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by itzzspencer View Post
    hardtop looks so good, but if you love top down as much as i do... it would be on the lower list of priorities
    Unless a good deal comes up, then you do what you can to buy that and forget the list. Coils and other parts can be bought new. Hardtops only go for sale every once in a while. And even rarer still if it's a good deal.

Drives
    1990 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by afc2112 View Post
    Unless a good deal comes up, then you do what you can to buy that and forget the list. Coils and other parts can be bought new. Hardtops only go for sale every once in a while. And even rarer still if it's a good deal.
    this is true. but i feel the same way about everything lol. if its a steal, im buying it whether its on the top or the bottom of my priorities!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    I do enjoy driving with the top down, but considering all I do with my BRG is drive on the highway every day, five days a week (100+ miles a day) for work, I took out the soft top and keep the hardtop on at all times. For me, it's much quieter, and more importantly, more aerodynamic. Not to mention I don't have anywhere to put the hardtop if I were to take it off anyway, and the fact that I never take the BRG out for a joy drive. On my days off, I spend it with my family, which means if we go anywhere, it has to be in the Cube.

And speaking of rolling cars, just the other morning on I4 next to that big high school by McIntosh Road, I saw a white Nissan Murano flip over right there. I "think" he rolled down from the school parking lot as there's a decent little drop off right there!
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop
    1991 "Tardis Blue" BRG #581 <- SOLD

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1991 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    A few years ago when I started the modding I needed to replace shocks and brakes so I did coilovers, brakes, and a roll bar all at the same time. Since then I've done seats, harnesses, and a hard top in that order.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jux's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 White A-pkg, '08.5 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given
    First mod for my last three cars has been a set of coilovers. From there, either wheels & tires or steering wheel.

Maintenance should always be at the top of the list (to include fluids and wear items like wiper blades and brake pads, of course).
    '90 "LE" with red bits - 7/6 Flex, FM Front Bar, 14x7 +19 RPF1, PWR, SPAL, Maxim Works, Thermal R&D, HDHCSDM2, Zoom, Anvil II, 330mm mahogany Deep Corn, AC/PS delete, LE interior, attitude
    '08.5 CWP MS3 GT - AST 4100, TriPoint Rear Sway and Links, JBR STS w/ bushings and lockout plate, Moddiction Anvil II

Idling - Listen to it purr... recklessabandon's Avatar
    Drives
    a Silverstone NA
    Thanks Given
    anytime anyone asks where to start with any car, i tell them: suspension first. then wheels. then transmission upgrades. then whatever random stuff you feel you need to buy.
    that is the quickest way to look dope and enjoy your car at the same time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12