Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing an M2-1001 instrument cluster "clone"...

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Jamie, stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the M2-1002 cluster that Adam was talking about on the previous page?

Randy, those KG Works clusters aren't all that cheap, quickly approaching the $1k mark on their own.

Adam, I suck when it comes to trying to look shit up on Yahoo Japan. LOL

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    First off, Adam is right. The 1001 clusters pop up all the time on Yahoo Japan. There is a Brand New one up for sale right now, but 138,000 yen is pretty steep. I would also be hesitant on doing the wiring for them. I would think you would need the appropriate NA6 wire loom since that was the model they were made for.

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h163617408

The only thing I dislike on them is an idiot lite for oil. WTF? A vintage set up like that should have a vintage oil gauge too IMHO. I have been wanting to do something similar looking to the M2 1001 gauges, while retaining the stock gauges and a oil gauge. I like the KGW panel, but I was never fond of the KGW gauge rings.

While lurking on Yahoo Japan I found what Randy mentioned earlier, a discontinued new RS Products Type-01 gauge panel that RSP was selling as an M2 1001 style gauge panel. I attached some pics of it. It uses the factory NA gauges, but has a very nice M2 style look and feel. The deep gauge rings just add to it. I will just need to get some decent gauge faces to go with the panel. A less expensive alternative to sourcing the genuine gauge set up.

Picture 014.jpgPicture 015.jpg

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I wasn't aware that they discontinued that version? I'll have to see about finding one now just to compare it to the KGW and AWD versions. The rings do look spot on to a M2 car though!!

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    I wasn't aware that they discontinued that version? I'll have to see about finding one now just to compare it to the KGW and AWD versions. The rings do look spot on to a M2 car though!!
    Yeah, I tried to purchase one through Rev9 when I found out they are no longer being produced last year. They still have the panels listed on the RS Products site though.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    So does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions as to how an aftermarket speedo would connect to the stock speedo cable? Or does it need to be replaced?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12