Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1990 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given

NA8 to NA6 gauge cluster help

so recently i did a dashboard swap on my miata
    i have a 1990 miata with a 1.8L
    the dash came from 1992
    currently my tachometer, oil pressure and water temp does not work.
    a little bit of research, ive found that behind the golve box, theres a connector plug behind it (the male connector has a foam wrap, female doesnt) well i left that unplugged when reinstalling because it wouldnt fit. the plugs looked liked it was mirrored (can provide pics if needed)
    what i need to know, is this the problem? if so, how can i get it to connect, it just doesnt fit, is there some sort of adapter piece I can get?

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    No that is probably the light for the factory rear defroster, the problem is because the oil gauge from 90-93 was a real gauge, and from 94 up was just a false gauge that really doesnt do much.

You will have to replace the oil gauge as well as the sending unit for this to work properly.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jnshk's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Chaste White w/ PEP
    Thanks Given
    You may find this thread useful: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....hout-the-Years

And if you spot any more differences, please add a note to the thread for others!

EDIT: I just re-read your original post. I have no idea about the connector located behind the glove box. Your best bet would be to perform a continuity test between pins on that connector and the pins on the connector that plugs directly into the cluster. If indeed it is a match, you'll need to either:
    - (A) Identify, cut, and splice the wires directly together. (Meh... but easiest solution.)
    - (B) Identify, cut, and splice the wires from one half of the connector to the pigtail from the earlier dash or a later car. Suggest modifying the dash harness, not the car harness. (Not too bad, relatively easy.)
    - (C) Identify, de-pin a connector, re-pin the terminals into the correct style connector from the old dash or car. This will only work if they use the same quantity and style of pins though. (Good, if it will work and if you can get your hands on a decent pick or de-pin tool.)
    - (D) Get donor pigtails from another dash and another car and make your own adapter harness (If you can actually obtain the connectors... Yay!)
    Last edited by jnshk; 05-15-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: reading comprehension
    Active: 1991 Mazda Miata (B-Package), JRSC+MS3 [Daily/Project]
    Active: 1995 Mazda Miata (M-Edition) [Full Send Project]
    Hiatus: 1997 Mazda Miata (PEP) [Candidate for Lifted Miata?]
    Hiatus: 1958 Volvo 444 Sport w/ Ford 2.9L EFI and drivetrain

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Brilliant Black
    Thanks Given
    I put a 1.6 dash into my '96. When I started the car after installation, tach didn't work. I plugged that connector behind the glovebox and my tach worked again...look for the 2 parts that fit together...

As a side note, there was a grounding wire also in the dash harness on the passenger side. I forgot to hook it up to the chassis and so my passenger headlight was shorted out until I realized that...

Wait, you have a 1990 Miata...and you bought the same kind of dash you already have? I'm so confused. You never had a 1.8 dashboard installed in your 1990, right? Wtf did you do? Why 2 of the same dash?

Maybe the dash you bought has a 1.8L dash harness and you need the 1.6L harness? Or vice versa? I have a complete 1.6L harness if you need one.
    Last edited by fitftw; 05-16-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    1996 Brilliant Black 2,020lbs wet.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! rikaro's Avatar
    Drives
    95 Chaste White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    No that is probably the light for the factory rear defroster, the problem is because the oil gauge from 90-93 was a real gauge, and from 94 up was just a false gauge that really doesnt do much.

You will have to replace the oil gauge as well as the sending unit for this to work properly.
    i'm pretty sure the 94 still had the "real" oil pressure gauge, it's the 95 and up that are different leaving the 94 the only 1.8 with a real oil press
    95 miata vvt swap

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch Silver92B's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bthai View Post
    so recently i did a dashboard swap on my miata
    i have a 1990 miata with a 1.8L
    the dash came from 1992
    currently my tachometer, oil pressure and water temp does not work.
    a little bit of research, ive found that behind the golve box, theres a connector plug behind it (the male connector has a foam wrap, female doesnt) well i left that unplugged when reinstalling because it wouldnt fit. the plugs looked liked it was mirrored (can provide pics if needed)
    what i need to know, is this the problem? if so, how can i get it to connect, it just doesnt fit, is there some sort of adapter piece I can get?
    '90 & '92 have the same dashboard. Why did you change it for the same thing? Also, since they are the same, all your connectors should match and plug directly. Just get back in there, look around and find the matching pieces. You'll be good to go (except maybe for the oil gauge).