Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Free

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! AntiochOG's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1990
    Thanks Given
    After letting the Raid foggers do their thing all night, we went out and took the tarps off so we could let the car air out and then see what we had to work with.

The odor from the foggers was still pretty strong as we started working. The interior was gross. Most of the carpet was soggy, and there was standing water in the driver's footwell. There were a lot of leaves, spiderwebs, dirt, and random trash left by the previous owner. There was also some money and an iPod that we found next to the passenger seat.

Always thought owning a Miata made in '89 would be cool.

Even though it's old, with 100k on the clock it's still just a baby.

Under the hood was basically the same story; thick cobwebs everywhere and lots of leaves and surface rust.

This is where the giant spider was spotted, but no sign of it today.

The clutch fluid reservoir was basically dry. Could something this simple be the reason the car was abandoned?

The first order of business was to remove the bra.

Unfortunately under the bra we found a really bad repaint, and a bumper with the characteristic license plate dimple.

Poor bumper.

Then we started to pull apart the interior. The plan is to strip out everything, then determine what will clean up, and what will need to be replaced. Reuben has a strange fascination with head rest speakers, so the first thing he did was unzip the headrests. I was surprised to find these after market speakers in there.

Next I pulled off the speaker covers from the door, and was even more surprised to see the top notch install job they had done on these speakers that were too small for the openings.

After that I removed the rear plastics, carpet, and package tray panel. After seeing all the moisture and rust elsewhere in the car I expected this area to be pretty bad. I was surprised to see it was relatively clean and rust free.

Reuben sprayed some WD-40 in the lock and after wiggling the key back and forth for a few seconds I got the trunk open. Found all kinds of goodies here. Antifreeze, which I put into the radiator, an old shirt, a CD changer, a mouse nest, some CDs, a wireless keyboard, and a soggy Haynes manual (I could have used one of those). Under all that was an inch or so of standing water. I pulled the carpet out to try and clean up.

I ended up rounding off a couple bolts trying to get the seats out. Went to Napa and picked up a set of these and the last 2 bolts came right out.

I took all the carpets that I had removed, all of them but the main one, and hosed them off real good in the driveway. I was surprised to see how well they cleaned up just from that. With a good shampooing I think they'll be salvageable. Gave the car a quick wash too. Then I dropped the battery off at Vatozone to get charged and tested. Turns out it was toast, but they gave me a $5 gift card for recycling it. #winning Came back home and pulled the battery out my daily Miata and put it in the project. The engine turned over but wouldn't fire up. I noticed the gas gauge was on E, so I had Reuben swing by and get some gas for the car. We put the gas in and tried to start it again, and it fired right up! So much win! All it needed was a battery and some gas.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! hippari's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Champagne MX-5 (sold)
    Thanks Given
    Nice.

Aww, I tried to emphasize that with caps and it uncaps'd it. So uhh, SERIOUSLY NICE. lol

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Awesome project!!! I love stuff like this. There's nothing better than rebuilding.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power iRoadster's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    I had the feeling that it would be something as simple as a dead battery that was keeping this off the road.
    Well, that and the previous owners who are obviously pretty thick.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch JonnyD's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Emerald Mica
    Thanks Given
    That's awesome it started up. Looks like that should be a good starter for a rally car.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    MIATA POWER! (said in caps)

It needs some love, but at least it has love to give back.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    That is awesome!!! Congrats and this is an awesome build so far!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! blenderblast's Avatar
    Drives
    97 BRG Miata (Turbo)
    Thanks Given
    That's awesome! I may have to bug bomb one of my Miatas.
    "You can't believe most of the qoutes you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
    "Eighty percent of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

1990 Red Miata - Stock Slammed. (3/16/2011 - 8/19/2012)
    1997 BRG Miata - Turbo-ed. 189.9rwhp @ 8psi. (11/29/2011 - 3/??/2014) -Oil line clogged- -Parted out-
    1996 White Miata - Stock. (7/13/2012 - 1/07/2013)
    1996 White Miata - Stock. (4/??/2014 - 8/14/2014)
    On the hunt '96-'97 - Stock - (11/1/2014 - Present)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! friday's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    You guys might have something great on your hands. Keep us updated!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power atlnb's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    good deal, this should be good
    Xida CS | Hard Dog | Corn*s | Bride | Joyfast | Carbing | Beatrush | 6UL | KG Works | Square-Top Manifold | BP5A Cam | Daily/CSP build

Drives
    Red 1990
    Thanks Given

A small update

Sometimes something has to die so a Miata can live. That time had come for this poor mouse who had taken up residence in the car.

I started to pull the driver's seat apart so I could throw the covers in the washing machine. Because the driver's seat had been sitting in a puddle for long time there is a lot of rust on the seat pan. Structurally it still seems fine, I tried punching through the metal with a screwdriver and couldn't. I think I'll clean off what I can with a wire wheel on the drill and then treat and paint it.

The seat foam was pretty securely fused to the seat pan. After a quite a while I was able to remove it almost in one piece. The foam was so soggy and gross feeling.

I put the covers through the wash twice and they came out looking really good, especially considering there had been a pile of decomposing leaves sitting on them and moss starting to grow in the fabric. The plan is to dye them back to black from the charcoal color they are now.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power The Platypus's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 White
    Thanks Given
    I think that shot of the mouse taking the bait is actually pretty cool. Those seats look gross. This is one of those cars I would completely gut the interior and not put anything back that wasn't brand new. I'd just be scared of all the disgusting shit that used to be there.
    Brandon
    My Build | flikr | BC Garage Blog | Instagram - @bcgarage

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power George's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 Evolution orange NB6
    Thanks Given
    nice progress! I'm still hoping for a shot of the man eating spider lol

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    What kind of mouse trap is that? Is that one of the humane ones?

Drives
    Red 1990
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingson View Post
    What kind of mouse trap is that? Is that one of the humane ones?
    It's just a standard trap that snaps shut and kills the mouse. It does have a nice little plastic handle that flips up so you don't have to touch the mouse though. Not very humane I'm however.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast