2002. My thoughts were turning to hillclimbs and sprints, after getting bored of a year of trackdays. So I sought out and fitted a 6-point Carbing rollbar.

It needed holes drilling in the floor behind the seats, and cutting back of the shelf, and drilling the monocoque.

This type of rollbar robbed quite a bit of seat travel; the side bars worsened this. Also, it was pretty lethal when it came to proximity to the head.

A TRS 6-point harness was also added, with the shoulder straps mounted direct to the body

I wanted a bit more cold air to the engine; in 2001, vented headlamp covers were in short supply in the UK, so I made one from a spare headlamp lid and a Rover Metro bonnet vent. This idea was later copied (and improved upon) by others.

It was functional.

To sort out the lethal rollbar, besides padding, I wanted a lower seat. Autolinkuk sent me a couple over to choose from. I opted for the tatty looking Ligier G-Hold; held me in superbly, plus was mounted very low on a Bride subframe.

My first event, issued a number 26 for the season.

My first event was the Cultra Hillclimb, which lays claim, along with some others, to be the oldest car race in the world.

Later on in the year, a bit of bling, and a bit of functionality.

A Knight Sports anodized billet oil cap

Okuyama-Carbing triangulated brace made for RS Aizawa; purchased mainly to firm up the brakes.