Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glasspack exhaust for my 1.6?

Idling - Listen to it purr... RabiaEx's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Lava Grey Pearl
    Thanks Given
    I have a glasspack and resonator tip on my NB, it sounds really good and unique. Not extremely loud. I'll record a video for you as the one I have is before the break-in.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Soledad's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 Silverstone, '08 'Niseko' Icy Blue Metallic
    Thanks Given

I'm going to have to disagree with those that say it sounds good. It doesn't. That's some straight up ricer BS if I've ever seen it, and believe me I see a lot of it. It's going to sound like raspy ass and will, beyond the shadow of a doubt, attract the wrong kind of attention. Have fun paying for all those repair orders and noise violations The Fuzz will undoubtedly give you.

Also, your gutted cat is killing what little power your engine has. Do yourself a favor and get a real exhaust (2.25" diameter- any more than that and you're killing power again) with a resonated test pipe if you insist on having no converter. At least that way you're actually making some power, albeit not much, and you'll pass any visual inspections mandated by local/state legislation (if any).

DISCLAIMER- no hate here, just trying to educate.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. - Mark Twain

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! AHHthatsJDMyo's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Soledad View Post

I'm going to have to disagree with those that say it sounds good. It doesn't. That's some straight up ricer BS if I've ever seen it, and believe me I see a lot of it. It's going to sound like raspy ass and will, beyond the shadow of a doubt, attract the wrong kind of attention. Have fun paying for all those repair orders and noise violations The Fuzz will undoubtedly give you.

Also, your gutted cat is killing what little power your engine has. Do yourself a favor and get a real exhaust (2.25" diameter- any more than that and you're killing power again) with a resonated test pipe if you insist on having no converter. At least that way you're actually making some power, albeit not much, and you'll pass any visual inspections mandated by local/state legislation (if any).

This!!!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Muti007's Avatar
    Drives
    AP2 S2000, LS430 & GX470
    Thanks Given

So you do have direct experience with one then? I agree that a glasspack + gutted cat would likely sound like ass but that was not my setup, I just replaced my muffler with a cherry bomb and after break in, it was not at all ricey. As I said, the most positive comments I got about it was from fellow Miata enthusiasts, not just other car guys who also loved it. More than a few Miata folks felt they had wasted a lot of $$ on a full exhaust to get a sound that wasnt nearly as good as what I had achieved for far less. Im not saying I dont respect your opinion, just making sure it is based on actual first hand experience and not just an assumption.
    M
    Love all, trust a few, do harm to none....William Shakespeare

Drives
    '99 Lava Grey Pearl
    Thanks Given

You really think this sounds that bad?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ctrench's Avatar
    Drives
    1993 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    i live in FL (ie no inspections or smog testing)

i had a friend with an 02 that literally had the stock cat, stock resonator and no muffler and it was LOUD, he got pulled over by the cops and they tested if it was illegal, and he PASSED!!! i was astonished

but either way, im probably just going to just replace a glasspack with my current stock set-up then wait until i install my turbo then run 3" straight back (and yes, with the turbo, i want it loud and crackling)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! ctrench's Avatar
    Drives
    1993 Crystal White
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RabiaEx View Post

OHHH i like!!!

Drives
    AP2 S2000, LS430 & GX470
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RabiaEx View Post

Thanks for that. Sounded fantastic!
    M

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Muti007 View Post
    So you do have direct experience with one then?

As a matter of fact, I do. Back in my BM (before Miata) days, I had one on my GMPP SC Grand Am GT. My setup was exactly like the drawing in post number 13. I got pinched repeatedly by The Fuzz for it being too loud- once twice in one day, and another time by the same officer on two occasions exactly one week apart. Each time I got a repair order, I had to take it to a certified state inspector and pay the repair order and the inspection fee. That mess adds up fast.

It got pretty old fast, too. I eventually spent the money I could have had in my hand long before on a custom exhaust that was legal and kept me out of trouble.

But to each his own. I'm not going to browbeat someone for doing what makes them happy. I just thought I'd share my experience.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. - Mark Twain

Drives
    AP2 S2000, LS430 & GX470
    Thanks Given
    As a matter of fact, I do. Back in my BM (before Miata) days, I had one on my GMPP SC Grand Am GT. My setup was exactly like the drawing in post number 13. I got pinched repeatedly by The Fuzz for it being too loud- once twice in one day, and another time by the same officer on two occasions exactly one week apart. Each time I got a repair order, I had to take it to a certified state inspector and pay the repair order and the inspection fee. That mess adds up fast.

It got pretty old fast, too. I eventually spent the money I could have had in my hand long before on a custom exhaust that was legal and kept me out of trouble.

But to each his own. I'm not going to browbeat someone for doing what makes them happy. I just thought I'd share my experience.
    Ok, so to be fair, with all due respect though you say you do, you go on to say that you dont actually have any experience with such a setup.

Youre talking about a different car altogether and the drawing that is being referred to indicates no cat, which is not what I am advocating. So were talking about two completely dissimilar setups. I never once raised a cops eyebrow with my setup, not once and as I said, got loads of compliments and most of them were from Miata guys as well as passed inspection year after without issue. Again, please understand, I mean not to disrespect you or your opinion (I hope for as long as weve known each other at least that much is clear) but just trying to make clear that I am speaking of my first hand experience with my own setup on my own car. I ended up selling that car to a guy in his 60s and he LOVED the sound, said it reminded him of the Italian and English roadsters he always wanted when he was a young man. This was exactly what so may others had told me as well previously.
    Last edited by Muti007; 08-06-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    M

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Okay, let me clarify my statement. I had a setup exactly like post 13- header--> glasspack in place of converter--> straight pipe the rest of the way and no muffler. At least that's how I interpreted that drawing.

No, it was not on a Miata. It was on a '96 Pontiac Grand Am GT with the 2.4l twin cam Quad Four engine. That was a built motor with a GM Performance Parts supercharger. It still sounded like garbage. I imagine on a naturally aspirated Miata with an engine half the size and not even half the horsepower the Pontiac had it would sound worse.

Also Muti, I take no offense to anything you say, and likely will ever say.

Drives
    AP2 S2000, LS430 & GX470
    Thanks Given
    Also Muti, I take no offense to anything you say, and likely will ever say.
    First, thank you for that. I think I can at times come off as abrasive when it is the furthest thing from my intention so it is very important to me to make sure I am not doing so, especially with someone Ive known as long as Ive known you and consider a personal friend.

Okay, let me clarify my statement. I had a setup exactly like post 13- header--> glasspack in place of converter--> straight pipe the rest of the way and no muffler. At least that's how I interpreted that drawing.

No, it was not on a Miata. It was on a '96 Pontiac Grand Am GT with the 2.4l twin cam Quad Four engine. That was a built motor with a GM Performance Parts supercharger. It still sounded like garbage. I imagine on a naturally aspirated Miata with an engine half the size and not even half the horsepower the Pontiac had it would sound worse.
    So I think youre kind of proving my point. I have experience with Quad 4s, a good friend in HS had a Grand AM with the pre-neutered Quad 4 that put out 180 (190?) hp. I loved that motor, it revved and revved, pulled fantastically and sounded great to me. But its sound and overall characteristics could never ever be mistaken for those of a Miatas. As such, I dont know why youd expect similar modifications would result in similar sound characteristics either, theyre complete apples and oranges.

Secondly, again Im not talking about replacing a cat with a cherry bomb then running without mufflers. Im talking about running with the cat in place and replacing the muffler with the cherry bomb. Again, apples and oranges. At least that is how I remember my setup, I could be remembering it wrong and may have left the stock muffler in place and replaced the cat with the cherry bomb, now Im not 100% sure. What I do remember was it sounded fantastic and either way, were talking about completely dissimilar powertrains as well as completely dissimilar exhaust setups so I dont think your experience with the Grand Am is relevant to the Miata question.
    Last edited by Muti007; 08-06-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    M

Drives
    '99 Lava Grey Pearl
    Thanks Given
    Exactly how you had your cherry bomb installed is how I have mine, Muti. Except with the resonator tip.

Drives
    AP2 S2000, LS430 & GX470
    Thanks Given
    I used my stock resonator tip as well.
    M

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Judging from the video that was posted, I personally think it sounds great. But that is my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast