Thread: Lightweight Battery with Megasquirt

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! vindi49's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 V Limited
    Thanks Given

Lightweight Battery with Megasquirt

I've got a light weight battery, a Varley Red Top 25. It seems like it can't power my Megasquirt... which surprised me as my old Adaptronic was fine, but apparently they do drain a lot of power. So what other options do I have for a light weight battery that will provide enough power to run the Megasquirt but ideally be lighter than the standard one?

According to MX5Parts, the standard MX5 battery is about 31amp hours and cranking amp rate of 475.
    Varley Red Top is 16 Amp Hours but not sure what the cranking amp rate is... what numbers are the important ones here, or what "spec" do I need?

The Varley is 7kg, not sure what the standard one is, but probably double that.

Russell.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jnshk's Avatar
    Drives
    1997 Chaste White w/ PEP
    Thanks Given
    Something seems amiss here. I can't imagine that the MS would have enough current draw to kill the battery, unless you're leaving it turned on for extended periods before attempting to start the car or unless there's a short inside (in which case you'd probably be blowing fuses). Once the car is started, it should be essentially running off the alternator. Is it possible that something else with the MS is not configured properly?
    Active: 1991 Mazda Miata (B-Package), JRSC+MS3 [Daily/Project]
    Active: 1995 Mazda Miata (M-Edition) [Full Send Project]
    Hiatus: 1997 Mazda Miata (PEP) [Candidate for Lifted Miata?]
    Hiatus: 1958 Volvo 444 Sport w/ Ford 2.9L EFI and drivetrain

Idling - Listen to it purr... WestfieldMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Blue '09 Westfield MX5
    Thanks Given
    I'm using a Odyssey PC680 and I have no problems with it. It's rated at 680 cranking amp and 17 Amp hours. It's just under 7kg as well. It does crank a bit slower than a full size battery (180 rpm cranking), but the MS doesn't mind at all.
    Frank -- '00 engine with MSM turbo and full PnP MS3X.

==========>> Megasquirt true PnP Buildservice for any '90-'05!! <<==========