Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Stormin'norman and Lexi

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! stormin'norman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Just rolled in this afternoon from my first time driving the new Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA. Having been passenger for a few sessions about a month ago I wasn't all too warmed up about the track. Today was different. Despite the monsoon like weather that rolled through I had a great time. There were no more than 20 drivers today with Hooked On Driving and their open lapping event. Lots of track real estate for everyone!

Some notes:

*Surprisingly the Star Specs, although starting to perform rather poorly in the dry, still seem to have quite the wet grip remaining in them.
    *Hardtop did not make the 2.5 hr drive to the Ridge any more enjoyable. Car is still miserable as ever and ear plugs are a must. It certainly did help keep things dry and gave the car a more solid feeling.

Anyways, it was so wet and miserable that even if I did bring my camera it wouldn't have done much good. But here's one of my sessions from the GoPro. I guess I focused on smoothness and consistency today. I wasn't out to push the car and it was a new track afterall. Don't mind the missed apex's on purpose and only ~100 mph straight speed. Standing water every where especially at Apex markers on track made driving the real line very treacherous. I have video of my friend Paul doing a 270* spin in his Lotus at T1. I'll get it up soon.

Awkward save from certain off track mudfest @ 15:40. Must.. move.. hands.. faster. Damn.

Thanks Given
    Coming soon!

Well it's installed. Haven't driven it yet but not expecting anything wild.

Anyways quick comparo shot.

Open and waiting for the RB. Install was a breeze! I was expecting a struggle to slide it in.

RB header install went far better than I expected. Honestly the hardest part about anything in my engine bay is fitting the Carbing brace in and out around the wiring and stock air box. I had to unclip the 02 sensor wiring from a few of it's hangers in order to make the sensor reach the lower RB location.

Anyways I'm glad to finally get rid of that pathetic looking OEM heat shield. I plan on wrapping the heater hoses in some reflective heat tape or the likes along with some other clean up here and there. I expected the sound of the car to change but haven't really noticed anything so far. Though I haven't really driven it hard yet.

What I have noticed is that the car seems to run smoother and accelerate with more willingness even from down low. I'm curious to get the car back out to the track here shortly and see what other surprises it has in store. However, I've got a dying coil pack so I may be missing out on more than I think.

Thanks Given
    So I started the day picking up this..

A super stripper model 1995 with just A/C.

While claying and waxing the new Miata the post arrived and brought this little guy

I'm now just waiting on a Deka etx9 6 lb battery and some odyssey terminals to get my car back in fighting form. I also finally ordered a Hans Sport! Yay for not having to borrow other people's gear.
    Oh and forgot. Ken blasted these ht brackets up with a quickness. Although I ran into red loctite on the oem upper latches. One will not come out. Have to get creative this week.

Thanks Given
    Some eye candy to drop in here for the memorial day weekend.

A Match Made In Seven

My buddy George rang me up and asked if I wanted to head out to his parents place and check out his high school love. Having heard all about his former obsession I was eager to see for myself.

Tucked away on one side of the garage and under a car cover lied a 1993 Vintage Red Mazda RX-7 R1. With a scant 86k on the odo and a host of tasteful aftermarket additions George was eager to display his 7 as it lies tucked away keeping the miles off and awaiting free time, disposable income and completion of school.

DSC_0082-2

Having been around a handful of FD’s before I was no stranger to its timeless looks. However, it wasn’t until today that I realized just how different this car is compared to the NA Miata. Thinking upon it, these cars likely shared showroom space together. The RX-7, the pinnacle of Mazda’s engineering gurus, world class handling, perfect weight distribution, drop dead sexy body lines and an exotic powerplant shared stables with the meager Miata?? It’s as if they came from different planets. I guess that’s a topic for another day as we had a FD to become familiar with.

DSC_0085-2

DSC_0092-3

DSC_0093-2

Still riding on stock R1 suspension and wheels I imagined this car as if it had just left Mazda’s factory about to be piloted around Tsukuba or Suzuka by one of Japan’s great drivers, Motoharu Kurosawa. Calmly guiding the nimble Mazda around the circuit scrambling for every ounce of traction the factory tires and civil suspension could provide. By no means is this seven a finished project. I believe George has hopes to get the mod train rolling in the future and put some spring back in the step of the FD with some new footwork.

DSC_0086-3

Inside the swoopy silohette the interior beckons the driver forward. Outfitted with all sorts of gauges needed to monitor the rotary George’s seven also comes fitted with wonderful suede clad R1 seats which provide quite an impressive driving experience and seat you nicely behind the wheel.

DSC_0087-2

DSC_0090-3

DSC_0107-5

DSC_0109-3

DSC_0110-4

Prodded to life with the help of a battery charger we had woken an unhappy girl from her slumber. The Titanium Greddy canister quickly expelled an angry, boomy buzz as the rotary idled high for the first few minutes.

DSC_0095-2 by 3norman3, on Flickr

Ensuring the hungry twin turbos are kept fed with a cold charge a Peter Ferrel Supercars intercooler setup dominates the front portion of the engine compartment. Additional aid in keeping the rotary happy came in the form of an M2 carbon air box while a Koyo Race radiator keeps water temps under control.

DSC_0105-4

DSC_0104-2

DSC_0100-3

Left to idle and loosen things up inside after a long sleep I wandered about the FD admiring details here and there that I’d never had the pleasure or unpressured time to absorb.

DSC_0111-5

DSC_0116

DSC_0097-3

Feeling some pressure to sell the FD perhaps today sparked some motivation and passion for George to get the project rolling once again.

DSC_0117-3

His current Evo IX holds daily and track duties both with competency and surprising comfort riding atop Ohlins Flags and 255 Star Specs.
    [
    DSC_0118-5

DSC_0114

And so as the second golden age of sports cars begins to wan I can finally, nearly, check off another rare animal on my “have to experience” list. Our drive was short but much appreciated. I can only imagine what one of these must be like at 10/10ths.

Thanks Given
    First of a couple new goodies arrived today. Thanks to sfl_miata for the recommendation. Deka etx9.

Long overdue.

Knowing my ignition coil was on it's way out I finally broke down and bought one today. So expensive..

Anyways, it's a simple job though I can't say I didn't get frustrated getting to the lower grommet bolt.

Always protect your paint.

New coil pack.

Out with the old.

And reassemble with a fresh side of NGK plugs and wires.

Wow, was I missing out. Car seems to run smoother and pick up better down low/in the mid range. You will notice the car idles a bit high when you first start up. Also, symptoms of a dying coil pack on a 1.6 are seeking rpm needles. I always attributed mine to delrin motor mounts but this seems to have done the trick.

Additionally, Deka battery is in the car with odyssey SAE terminals and I'm stoked to get the Racing Beat header to the track on Monday. Car will be getting another alignment tomorrow at AR. I suspect I've bent another control arm. Oh well such is motorsports. Just time and money. :/

Thanks Given
    I didn't get any great photos today as I was instructing in between driving. We spun twice in the rain I think it shook him up a good bit but progress was made the rest of the day and given we were in an NB that was helpful for me.

I don't want to try R Compounds but I may have stumbled upon a deal I can't pass up. I'm tired of being just a few mph short of keeping up with Tim and Kurt's E30's in the corners.

A quick video from session 3 of the instructor group. Definitely not a Miata friendly playground but I do my best and have a great time.

Alright, last video from Monday. I think I'm carrying a decent pace in this one. Meh who knows but it was fun.

In other news.. this was probably a smart decision. No longer have to borrow from other people.

Thanks Given

+30. It was a local deal I couldn't pass up. I wasn't sure if I'd like them until I got home.

Sorry for the sub par photos. Been using the D40 this afternoon.

Thanks Given
    Getting ready to rock the new Team Dynamics at ORP next month.

Mounted and balanced my Dunlops on the Konigs this afternoon and threw the Team Dynamics on for the time being. I'll be bringing both sets out with me.

Still to do: Trans and Diff fluid. Turret fluid. PCA inspection. Perhaps alignment and maybe a Pole Position for the passenger side along with new Schroth Profi II harness for the driver.

I'm enjoying the look of the 205's. Definitely a bit squeezed on the small Konig but I like them none the less.

Thanks Given
    I went out and took photos of the Miata today. I don't claim to be a good photographer or know what I am doing but I really enjoy trying at the very least.

I'm excited for more changes, driving and improvements. Oh I should also note I picked up a Griot's orbital and a bunch of product about a week ago. I'm really pleased with how the wash, clay, machine polish 3 and best of show wax turned out. My paint has never looked this good.

DSC_0087-4

DSC_0082-3

DSC_0089-7

DSC_0097-5

DSC_0099-4

DSC_0100-5

DSC_0101-4 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0105-5 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0106-2 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0112-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0113 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0117-4 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0121-4 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0123 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0127 by 3norman3, on Flickr

Thanks Given
    Everyone still pokes fun at my ARC cap.

DSC_0132-5 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0133-4 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0135-4 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0137 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0138-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0139-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0142-5 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0144-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0146 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0147-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0150-1 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0151-2 by 3norman3, on Flickr

Thanks Given
    I feel like belittling my car with pictures of this toy. 2600 mile Porsche 911 GT3 RS WC GMG. GMG half cage. GMG race header. GMG race muffler. The noise was undescribeable and... odly enough the GT3 RS seems to be more compliant for street use in comparison to the standard GT3. Would make a nice daily. Nothing.. nothing is as exciting as a GT3 car. The interior feel, sound and attention really makes you realize that SOME material items bring happiness.

DSC_0153 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0155 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0156 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0157-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0160-2 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0161 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0163-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0164 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0166-2 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0168 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0171-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0172-2 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0173-2 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0174-3 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0176-4 by 3norman3, on Flickr

DSC_0179-4 by 3norman3, on Flickr

Thanks Given
    I jumped at the chance to get some last minute tracking in yesterday at The Ridge Motorsports park with Hooked On Driving. I was hoping for dry conditions but at least I had brand new Star Specs to enjoy the rain on. No more hydro planning above 100 mph! Excellent.

Here's the first video from session 2 chasing one of the other instructors in an ACR Viper. The Viper's factory aero makes wet visibility terrible for any cars behind. It is pretty neat to see it in action however. Also in other news I used my new Hans Sport II for the first time. Enjoyed that immensely although it makes for some fumbly momments getting situated in the car.

While not driving my Miata I spent time instructing a guy from Tri-Cities, WA in his brand new Ford Mustang Roush 427 Stage 3. I have to admit I was a bit terrified being paired with a Novice, in the rain and with 500 hp. I took him out in the Roush for some laps towards the beginning of the day to show him the line/corner stations etc. Impressive power in every gear, shocking grip levels for what I was expecting and a pretty sharp interior setup. I enjoyed it although he certainly gave me a few "oh shit" moments while riding along in the rain. Some people just don't understand the limit of a vehicle's grip or the concept of smooth power delivery and changing gears at appropriate times. Needless to say we survived without much drama and he saw huge improvements especially in the afternoon.

Some low key consistent laps in the dry afternoon sessions at The Ridge. No Miatas, E30's or Hondas to play with.

Thanks Given
    I picked up a stable mate for Lexi. This car will stay bone stock for a good while though I've already got my eyes on a set of Cobalt Friction xr3/5 brake pads and plan on swapping my Konigs on the car for some lapping late this summer. Heheh couldn't resist!

Anyways, I'm enjoying the little GS already. It's a great clean example.

It's certainly been looked after.

Details:

Original owner (firefighter!)
    Dealership serviced
    Lifetime oil changes at Ron Tonkin Acura
    Couple stray door dings as should be expected but mint mint interior!
    Stock aside from a $800 alarm install

Recent work:

Religious oil changes
    Coolant
    Cam seals
    Crankshaft seal
    Belts
    WP
    WP gasket
    air filter
    vc gasket
    trans fluid
    New ceramics all 4 corners
    Rotors all 4 corners
    KYB GR2's all 4 corners
    NGK plugs/wires
    PCV valve
    Distributor cap/rotor
    VC grommets
    Clutch hydraulics replaced
    PS flushed
    Ball joints
    Alignment and newer tires

I just wish it was black..

I've been buying and selling Miatas in hopes of getting into an M3 this next year. I almost picked one up last week but had a ppi done on the car. Few issues popped up nothing alarming. I made an offer but the owner thought his car was worth far more than it was.

integra

Miata content will be coming soon! I'll be at ORP next weekend with Curly, Oregonmon and greddygalant for two days of tracking. First time on the Team Dynamics and r888's too!

Thanks Given
    Fell in love with the car again tonight. Spur of the moment stop to take some pictures while out trying to get some miles and heat in the R888's before this weekend. If I could just address the suspension with Ohlins DFV race valved coilovers, tubular arms and R pkg tie rod ends I think I would be content forever.

DSC_0030-6

DSC_0032-6

DSC_0033-5

DSC_0035-6

DSC_0038-1

DSC_0041

DSC_0042-1

DSC_0045-1

DSC_0046-1

For kicks one more of the Integra.

Picture 13

Thanks Given
    I don't have time to fully recap the weekend at Oregon Raceway Park with Porsche club right now but I have some great photos a friend took and some excellent in car video to share! I have to say the R888's were a blast but now I am lusting for new coilovers even more. You can tell, even in the videos, that my Teins are struggling to make heads or tails of the grip that is being created. Fun none the less and I think some of my best driving yet.

I'll kick this off with a quick picture. More to come tomorrow evening. Lots of cleaning, repairing, unpacking and sleeping to do. Thanks to Rich Nile for the photos.

miataorp1 by 3norman3, on Flickr

orpmiata2 by 3norman3, on Flickr

Weekend Recap

In a last minute decision we (greddygalant and curly) decided to head to Grass Valley the night before ORPCA's first event of the weekend. We drove out i-84 enjoying the beautiful Gorge sights and looking forward to a pleasant stay at Tall Winds Motel in Moro, OR.

Curly, (Josh) ended up getting booted to rolling cot status while greddygalant (Martin) and I braved the $59 per night bed sheets.

The next morning we made camp and were joined by oregonmon and his slave photograper, Rich. Who was somehow convinced to give up his weekend troopsing around the landscape of the track in rattle snake country taking pictures of us. Brilliant.

New Team Dynamics and 888's! Exciting..

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast