Thread: Interior Lighting Wiring Questions for NB

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given

Interior Lighting Wiring Questions for NB

SO, I ended up picking up two 4 inch long LED light strips off someone for very cheaply. 1 dollar to rub in. I want to wire them into somewhere so when the doors open, the lights will come on. My only problem is that I am unable to find a wiring loom to tap into for the lights. I don't want to do a regular toggle switch. Someone told me that there was a plug under the dash for the dash lights but mine never had them. I just have the one light above my mirror. If I recall, someone had the side lights in his light up when the door opens on there NB but I don't remember who it was. These are red and I mounting them under the dash. They have 3M tape to stick them anywhere I want to.

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    No body knows????

Individual-1 ☚ ☻ ☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,545 Posts
    I'm on my phone rt now but the short answer is that you can tap into the dome light wiring that runs along the driver side A-pillar or at either door switch in the lower B-pillars.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RetroModern's Avatar
    Drives
    2014 NC3 GT
    Thanks Given
    the easy way is to find a hot, then find the door trigger. wire the hot to the positive side. door trigger to the negative side.

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I haven't checked this in a while. Opps. So I basically need to tap the hot wire to somewhere with a hot lead, like running extra wire fron the fuse box with a fuse somewhere in between. Next, I tap the negative with the door switches. One question, since the door switch has two wires, how can I identify which wire is which? I know one goes to the ground while the other goes to the light?

I know how to read a wiring diagram but I can't find on on the MSM or 01-05 Miatas. I also don't have a multi-reader so it make the process a bit difficult.

Thanks Given
    Door switch should only have one wire, an interrupted ground. When the door is opened, the plunger is released and the wire is ground to the chassis completing the circuit.

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I figured there ware a chassis ground running back towards the dash somewhere. I haven't pulled the car apart yet to find out.

Thanks Given
    A chassis ground is anywhere on the chassis, preferably the closest good spot to ground something. If you were installing an amp, you'd have one long power wire going to the battery and one short ground wire going to the nearest good ground point, perhaps just a few inches away. You wouldn't run the ground wire all the way back to the negative battery terminal.

In your case though, you'd permanently splice the positive wire for the LED to the wire that feeds the dome light. Then you'd run the negative wire from the LED to the door switch. You could optionally run power and ground from the dome light itself if you want to do it that way.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RetroModern's Avatar
    Drives
    2014 NC3 GT
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by SM16RMSM View Post
    I haven't checked this in a while. Opps. So I basically need to tap the hot wire to somewhere with a hot lead, like running extra wire fron the fuse box with a fuse somewhere in between. Next, I tap the negative with the door switches. One question, since the door switch has two wires, how can I identify which wire is which? I know one goes to the ground while the other goes to the light?

I know how to read a wiring diagram but I can't find on on the MSM or 01-05 Miatas. I also don't have a multi-reader so it make the process a bit difficult.
    if you want to build a house, the first thing you buy is a hammer and some nails. Or you hire a contractor.

12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE/RED (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
    DOOR TRIGGER WHITE/RED (-) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL, HARNESS to REAR of VEHICLE. (very first search result for "miata alarm wiring")

basic alarm wiring table for all year miatas: http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiring/Mazda/Miata/
    Last edited by RetroModern; 01-01-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    your link is dead......

Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by ken p View Post
    if you want to build a house, the first thing you buy is a hammer and some nails. Or you hire a contractor.

12 VOLT CONSTANT WHITE/RED (+) @ IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
    DOOR TRIGGER WHITE/RED (-) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL, HARNESS to REAR of VEHICLE. (very first search result for "miata alarm wiring")
    It not that, I just don't have a wiring diagram to figure out which wire is which. From what I have now. What ever wire coming from the door switch is going to be my ground wire. From there, I have to source a hot wire. I just need to find out which wire is hot under the dash since there are many F*** wires under the dash. I don't want to tap into a wire that is off when the car is off.

Do anyone know if the 99-00 wiring diagrams are similar to a 04?

Thanks Given
    Just get a $2 test light and test the wiring from the dome light. You don't really need a wiring diagram for this.