Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FHP checkpoints!! ah $h1*!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Thumper13's Avatar
    Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Geez so much gossip around here! Better not tell Phatties wife that he also has children with his lawyer!
    Off topic....Send me a life size cardboard cutout of yourself and I'll prop you up in my Miata,that way you can "attend" Miatapalooza in person. Who knows we may even hook you up with a Hooters girl.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! blenderblast's Avatar
    Drives
    97 BRG Miata (Turbo)
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper13 View Post
    Off topic....Send me a life size cardboard cutout of yourself and I'll prop you up in my Miata,that way you can "attend" Miatapalooza in person. Who knows we may even hook you up with a Hooters girl.
    I don't even think that they would take him as a cardboard cut out either
    "You can't believe most of the qoutes you read on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
    "Eighty percent of success is showing up" - Woody Allen

1990 Red Miata - Stock Slammed. (3/16/2011 - 8/19/2012)
    1997 BRG Miata - Turbo-ed. 189.9rwhp @ 8psi. (11/29/2011 - 3/??/2014) -Oil line clogged- -Parted out-
    1996 White Miata - Stock. (7/13/2012 - 1/07/2013)
    1996 White Miata - Stock. (4/??/2014 - 8/14/2014)
    On the hunt '96-'97 - Stock - (11/1/2014 - Present)

Drives
    NA6
    Thanks Given
    Meanwhile, in Australia...

Camouflaged police officers keep motorists in their radar gun's sights near Healesville in the Yarra Ranges. Herald Sun

DISGUISED police hiding in bushes behind camouflage nets are using radar guns to nab hundreds of speeding Victorians.

And the Herald Sun has discovered they are planning to secretly aim their radars at thousands more motorists this year.

Victoria Police makes no apologies for the sneaky tactic and yesterday vowed to continue the blitzes.

Supt Neville Taylor said the use of camouflaged cops was developed to tackle the problem police were having with speeding motorcyclists in the Yarra Ranges.

"Since then we have used it in other areas where we have the same challenges, such as the Surf Coast and down in Gippsland, around Mt Baw Baw and Latrobe," he said. "It is clearly saving lives on the road."

An angry motorist fined after being caught by what police call "Operation Surreptitious" hit back by tracking down their hidey-hole and taking pictures of the officers in action.

"They were disguised and hiding in thick bush to nab people as they came down a hill on the only overtaking spot for miles around," said the motorist, who asked not to be identified.

"That's not fair. It's just blatant revenue raising."

The photographs, provided to the Herald Sun, show Victoria Police officers went to extraordinary lengths to avoid being seen by motorists and motorcyclists approaching them just out of Healesville on the popular Black Spur section of the Maroondah Highway.

Both officers were wearing military-style camouflage clothing and were bunkered down behind camouflage netting.

The stretch of road is one of very few places on the Black Spur where overtaking is allowed.

Supt Taylor yesterday defended the camouflage tactic as legitimate and highly effective.

"We make absolutely no apologies for doing it because it is done only in areas that have a long history of very high risk behaviour, where we have high road trauma," he said.

"Because of the terrain in the areas, such as mountainous, winding roads, the traditional enforcement methods are just not able to be used."

Police statistics reveal 911 people have been caught speeding by the camouflaged cops in the Yarra Ranges since the operation started in 2008.

The operation has resulted in 74 vehicles being impounded for exceeding the speed limit by 45km/h or more, with 53 of them being motorcycles. The top speed recorded was 199km/h.

Supt Taylor said the camouflaged cops picked up two motorcyclists doing 168km/h and 142km/h in the 80km/h zone on the day the reader took photographs.

Victoria Police has a written policy that bans the use of concealed mobile speed cameras, but there is no restriction on radar guns.

Camouflaged police officers laying in wait amid dense bushland.
    keith.moor@news.com.au

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Thumper13's Avatar
    Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    I can hear it now, Sorry judge but from where I was seated that certainly looked like a 12 point buck,it is deer season and I figured " what the hell,I pulled over got my rifle out of the trunk and shot the bastard. I didn't realize it wasn't a deer till I heard the scream.

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Camo cops? If the goal is truly to slow down traffic, as they say, then they would be highly visible. Nothing slows down a driver like seeing a cop.

What they are doing is clearly going after revenue.

Drives
    NA6
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Camo cops? If the goal is truly to slow down traffic, as they say, then they would be highly visible. Nothing slows down a driver like seeing a cop.

What they are doing is clearly going after revenue.
    Totally agree, a couple of people will learn their lesson, a few more will move on to somewhere else to drive/ride, and the rest will just pay the fine, sit out the suspension and then keep doing it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123