Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: damper on Differential / diff pinion

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    good pricing:

http://949racing.com/Miata-Driveshaft.aspx

Thumper - That falls in line with what I was told by a very experienced Mazda tech about the 1.6 diffs. The driveshaft u-joints go bad/stiffen and starts sending all that NVH through the pinion. Then it just goes south from there.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Thumper13's Avatar
    Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    good pricing:

http://949racing.com/Miata-Driveshaft.aspx

Thumper - That falls in line with what I was told by a very experienced Mazda tech about the 1.6 diffs. The driveshaft u-joints go bad/stiffen and starts sending all that NVH through the pinion. Then it just goes south from there.

I'm just waiting for Emilio to call me back before pulling the trigger. I'm just curious if he expects the U joint to hold up as long or longer than the OEM piece.

Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXTi View Post
    ^^^good info thx! Now to call Esteban if tire balance doesn't work
    Huh ? Tire balance is not an issue.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper13 View Post
    I'm just waiting for Emilio to call me back before pulling the trigger. I'm just curious if he expects the U joint to hold up as long or longer than the OEM piece.
    I picked one up from him and installed it a couple of weeks ago; my thinking was that for the price, which even with shipping was less than the OEM shaft, it was a good deal, even if if didn't last quite as long, since it can be rebuilt. I will say that compared to my '98OEM piece there is less NVH, so I'm happy.

Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Yup,I'm pulling the trigger tonight along with a new bushing set and stainless brake lines. I'm still on the fence re: the stainless clutch line and the BP5A cam. I might be able to source the cam locally for less $$.

Emilio has gotten some coin from me recently. Hmmm,too bad I can't combine all my purchases for the last 5 months, I'd get that 5% discount and then some.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Make the order. I know the shop may be closed for a few days in a week or so. They are making a short trip to Germany just to drive the Nurburgring soon.

They won't sell anything they wouldn't put in their own cars...race or street.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 03-22-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Make the order. I know the shop may be closed for a few days in a week or so. They are making a short trip to Germany just to drive the Nurburgring soon.

They won't sell anything they wouldn't put in their own cars...race or street.
    The order may have just gotten a lot bigger.......I am blowing oil past the rings and I have appealed to my bride of 40 years,the same woman that bought me the Xida CS,end links and Carbotech pads that I n ow need to rebuild my motor,it HAS to/Must have ( or it will not work ) a .040 over bore,shaved head,decked block,and of course new pistons, rods and a BP 5A cam. Oh yeah,it will also need the new Megasquirt PNP for the 00NB to make the whole deal work. So far she's willing to ante up $3500.00. This on top of the new drive shaft stainless lines and new bushings...after all the car needs to be refreshed after 13 years of trouble free life.

Idling - Listen to it purr... GatorXTi's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Bass Boat Black STS 8
    Thanks Given

Re: damper on Differential / diff pinion

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper13 View Post
    Huh ? Tire balance is not an issue.
    Pumped tires to 40psi from 30psi post last Geneva autocross. No issues at all on I-4 60_90mph. Tires must have high stops. Got to love your wife... :-) $$$
    1990 NA Base Bass Boat Black no AC/PS/Radio, TRM C1s 15x7.5 with 205/50-15 RE-11s, ES bushings diff/CAs, V8 ball joints, Plastidipped OEM Hardtop, HDHCHTDD, XSPower header, Enthuza hifo cat with racer CB, ART modded AFM, Spin-induc intake/K&N, revalved Hard-S Bilsteins 650f 7"/400r 7", OBX collars/sleeves, RB hollow FSB with blocks, no RSB, Thompson two point front brace and Mazda rear control arm brace, VLSD.

Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXTi View Post
    Pumped tires to 40psi from 30psi post last Geneva autocross. No issues at all on I-4 60_90mph. Tires must have high stops. Got to love your wife... :-) $$$
    40 psi Maybe if I put Helium in the tires at 40 psi she could float home

The vibration problem ( s ) plural , by concurrence of the Spec Miata shop,my local Tires Plus ( really great guys ) and my Magic 8 ball are: A flat spot on the drive shaft and a questionable harmonic counterweight at the diff. The weight is coming off and a new drive shaft will be ordered some time today.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    SWMBO = she who must be obeyed. I am extremely fortunate I met my wife through Miatas, so she has an unusual high tolerance to my tinkering.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Doward's Avatar
    Thanks Given

damper on Differential / diff pinion

I've seem 3 of these pinion dampers tear off locally. All three were on turbo cars. Too many torques?
    Never heard of the spec guys cutting them off.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Pfunk's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 NB
    Thanks Given
    Today on the freeway in 6th I noticed the car was smooth until 100kph, a small bit of buzz at 105, real thrumming/buzz at 110 and then smoother again at 120kph. Hmmm...

Idling - Listen to it purr... GatorXTi's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Bass Boat Black STS 8
    Thanks Given

Re: damper on Differential / diff pinion

SWMBO = she who must be obeyed. I am extremely fortunate I met my wife through Miatas, so she has an unusual high tolerance to my tinkering.
    I too got lucky as my boss drives a Forester with a STi swap and FMIC. Got to love the love cemented in speed.
    1990 NA Base Bass Boat Black no AC/PS/Radio, TRM C1s 15x7.5 with 205/50-15 RE-11s, ES bushings diff/CAs, V8 ball joints, Plastidipped OEM Hardtop, HDHCHTDD, XSPower header, Enthuza hifo cat with racer CB, ART modded AFM, Spin-induc intake/K&N, revalved Hard-S Bilsteins 650f 7"/400r 7", OBX collars/sleeves, RB hollow FSB with blocks, no RSB, Thompson two point front brace and Mazda rear control arm brace, VLSD.

Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Doward View Post
    I've seem 3 of these pinion dampers tear off locally. All three were on turbo cars. Too many torques?
    Never heard of the spec guys cutting them off.
    If you were making the trip down to our EPIC/Really huge meet you'd get to speak to Stu from BSI personally about him removing them from all of his track day rental fleet plus his customer builds.

You can always e mail him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12