Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assistance with Auto Detailing

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given

Assistance with Auto Detailing

OK I am looking at this online. I am pretty set on this but I needed some assistance on how to use what is included with what I plan on purchasing.

This is the kit of the porter cable tool and the misc. pads for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...able+detailing

I wanted to get this
    Meguire 105 cutting
    http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M1053...xgy_auto_img_z

Meguire 205 finishing polish
    http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M2053...xgy_auto_img_y

and the meguire wax
    http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Gener...ds=meguire+wax

now my question lies with which pads to use for what? Ive been doing a lot of research on this and I think I am developing information paralysis. I think one pad is for one thing and then someone says use something else.

I know there are quite a few people on this forum that like to detail their cars or do others as a side job and wanted some assistance.

I was able to decipher more or less this much information.

Orange: heavy duty cutting
    White: Medium cutting
    Blue: fine cutting
    Black: finishing/waxing
    Red: finishing/waxing

Maybe if someone could explain this better for my intended uses.
    Thanks.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    with the assistance of someone on another forum by the name of user name here is his response.

Quote Originally Posted by user name View Post
    Use Orange for the first product, Blue for the second and Black or Red for the third?

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch new2mx5's Avatar
    Drives
    Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    Why don't you get it straight from the chemical guys, find something cheap to get you over $200

http://www.chemicalguys.com/SearchRe...uf+209&Submit=

Then goto the "i love free stuff" page, and get all this for free.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Limited_..._p/temp201.htm

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    ^ Because I hadnt thought of that. I did find coupons to get all of the meguires stuff from advance autopart for $50 though.

Drives
    Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    You can get something equivalent to all the meguires stuff from them also, if you goto the wacky deals page, they are all like $10 per bottle. Just look at the descriptions to get you close. There are tons of choices and opinions to match.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    I dont know. I was doing a lot of research and came to the conclusion that the meguires was what I wanted.

Drives
    Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    Meguires is good stuff, but I think they are overpriced and sell based on their name, similar to Bose. Both have been around and established themselves in the market long ago but are they truly worth the money? I know that for the same money you can buy higher quality speakers than Bose but most people dont know hwere to find them or have an audiophiles ear. I have no affiliation with them, but I have not been disappointed with the products I have purchased from the chemical guys.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    alright. When it is time to buy. Tomorrow morning I will take a care full look into them.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    anything in particular I should take a look at tomorrow morning?

Drives
    Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    I am new to detailing myself, but did a lot of reading and exploring. The products I haved used from them have all been for washing my cars so far, all my polishes and waxes just showed up last week, and its been to cold and rainy to try any of them. I found them ironically by ordering my foam cannon and soaps thru Amazon.

Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given

Assistance with Auto Detailing

Well after a lot of research. Many hours worth I think I will go with the ultimate compound. Now I don't know if I should apply some polish after or not. Many people say just use a wax right after.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by beatles4 View Post
    Well after a lot of research. Many hours worth I think I will go with the ultimate compound. Now I don't know if I should apply some polish after or not. Many people say just use a wax right after.
    Polish and then wax....wax is just a protective barrier.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Waiting for Junkman to chime in here............

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Um. Wow. Those are some extremely harsh products in the original post. Do you know how to use a polisher like you linked? Do you understand the different cuts of rubbing compound? Because with that harsh one and the polisher, you can burn through paint and primer in a few passes if you have heavy hands.

To quote the annoying guys in the vitamin stores "What exactly are your goals?"

Because the stuff you linked is for ROUGH paint. Paint jobs that came from a spray can and need lots of work to get orange peel removed, stuff like that. If you have a clear coat car, you can guarantee that you'll not have any clear after a few minutes with those products. It will be burned through. If you're painting cars and trying to fix flaws, then I'll shut up. But the tone of this thread makes me think you're just trying to get your paint shiny again.

1: strip away badness. To do this, you use a heavy solution of Dawn dish soap and a bucket. That removes any wax.
    2: Claybar. That gets rid of bug guts, fallout, acid deposits, etc.
    3: NOW is where you can polish your paint. Use a pure polish. If your paint is completely and totally fucked, I'd consider a very gentle rubbing compound. That should remove minor scratches and swirl marks. After rubbing compound comes polish. Then more polish. Then more polish.
    4: wax.
    5: Maintain with Quick Detailer type products.

If you want to learn how to use a polisher like that Porter Cable, go to a junkyard and buy a couple of panels. I'm serious. Then learn what it takes to burn through paint. Learn what it takes to remove scratches. Learn everything, but do it on trash panels. A couple of short hoods would be nice. Like maybe from a van or small FWD car. Something that won't take up much space in your garage and you can easily return to the junkyard or dump later.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    BTW, I really like that NXT Tech Wax 2 stuff. It goes on light and is easy to remove. It only lasts a month or two, but so do all waxes. Those that claim to last for a year are doing more marketing research than chemicals research. NXT is cheap, easy to find, and easy to use.

If you want a polisher and haven't ever used one before, look at the random orbital type buffers. Meguiars has a small one that seems to be nice. Friends have used it. I just use my hands.

Also, get a shit ton of GOOD microfiber towels. You kinda need to feel them in person rather than buy them from the internet. Go to walmart and check out their 12 pack for $10 of microfibers. Those are NOT good ones, but will teach you what a bad one feels like. Then remember how they feel (dry and scratchy) while checking out the nice ones in other stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast