Thread: Vehicle repaint

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts

Vehicle repaint

Sometime in the future, I want to repaint the 10ae I have. I plan to remove the tupperware on it soon. The front and rear bumpers are beat, to put it gently. I am thinking about an Artcenter Miata-style cutout in the rear or MSM rear bumper. I am thinking about an NB2 retrofit for the front, just because the lights and front aero options are more diverse.

The car was lightly swiped in the front right and the body shop "blended" the hood and door rather poorly...they painted right over the rock chips. On our drive to relocate back east, the car ate a road gator I kicked up in the moving truck, so the front lip is gone. It took a bunch of paint off the front and spider-webbed the rear bumper on it's way out. It has a few dings, so I will probably pay a PDR guy to remove those to avoid filling them in.

The car spent it's life in SOCAL until mid 2012, San Diego mostly.

I have two options as I see it: drive it up to Michigan during a holiday to repaint it at a shop my family owns, or have it painted locally. I am not too keen about driving soft paint back home over 700 miles.

What would a decent estimate be here in the Triangle area? I would likely take the car to someone, remove all the trim and accessories, to aid in taping, and let them go to town. If I can get a REALLY nice job done for $1000, I would be happy. If it's $2k, it's going to have to wait longer.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Andy's Avatar
    Drives
    Crystal White 1992
    Thanks Given
    For what it is worth I have been quoted around $2000 for an easy respray same color minimal body work.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    That was my expectation, too.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    The guy James used might be worth asking.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Yes, definitely hoping he sees this.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    2002 SE Ti
    Thanks Given
    If an out-of-state shop is an option, I'd recommend using this guy... He's in the DFW area.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/20-...nt-thread.html

Don't ban me for linking another site... just showing you the guys work. He's currently painting mine and the guy is an artist. In my opinion, paint is something that is worth getting right the first time.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Much appreciated! I think if I were to drive to DFW, I would pay Stevan to paint it.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given

Re: Vehicle repaint

Judging by what looking into paint I've done, quality paint work will always be $1,000 minimum without body work unless you know the guy and get a deal or something. Prices are probably different in my area compared to yours. If you're completely repainting the car (primer and everything) I'd definitely read into prep work and do it myself. The better the prep the better the end result usually tends to be.
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Steven, if I had family that had the ability to paint my car, I would do the trip because not only could I get my car painted, I could see family also. But that is just me. I always find a reason to go to Philadelphia.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I know...I haven't seen my family in Michigan since '07, I think.

Looking at it today, The only parts that really need painting are the front bumper, mirrors and trunk. *Maybe* the rear bumper. There are touched up rock chips on the edge of the door, the gas cap area and door handles, but it sort of matches the painted over rock chips in the hood.

I would just need to get a clean front bumper, maybe rear too. Then I need someone who can color match the car. All those parts are easily removeable, so I wonder if I can get the paint work done for 500? Of course it would be sweat to have a hardtop to throw in the batch too!

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I love my hardtop so far.