Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you change about how Miata's came from the factory?

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    I like this thread. Here's my take on it...

Slightly higher wheel arches like the old roadsters. Those old roadsters looked good with the wheel arches hugging those taller tires.
    Interior/trunk lighting
    Ignition switch lighting
    Better seats that actually hold you in place. The stock ones are like single-person bench seats. LOL
    6-speed and LSD as standard
    The hand-brake on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel.
    Better, louder horn. I can fart louder than the stock horn.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop
    1991 "Tardis Blue" BRG #581 <- SOLD

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Ignition light is a good one! Personally, I don't like cars with the hand brake on the passenger side! It just feels weird to me. The NC has the hand brake on the passenger side!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by theothersawyer View Post
    Ignition light is a good one! Personally, I don't like cars with the hand brake on the passenger side! It just feels weird to me. The NC has the hand brake on the passenger side!
    Actually, I wouldn't mind it being were it is now if it didn't go up against my knee. That shiz hurts after a while behind the wheel.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop
    1991 "Tardis Blue" BRG #581 <- SOLD

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! cbaylis77's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 1999
    Thanks Given
    5 lug wheels!
    I can see the NA having it's little 4x100 import wheels but when they redesigned for the NB it should have taken the RX-7's hubs.
    Better look, better brakes and tons of aftermarket wheel options.
    What's not to like?
    Miata family: '93 auto "Blacky", '99 turbo "Frankenstein" and '05 Mazdaspeed.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Tungsten6's Avatar
    Drives
    02 Titanium SE
    Thanks Given
    What! There are so many more 4x100 wheels in 15 (hell even 16 IMO) for the NB. I love the 4 lug!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten6 View Post
    What! There are so many more 4x100 wheels in 15 (hell even 16 IMO) for the NB. I love the 4 lug!
    I agree with you on this.
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    02 BYM Miata SE
    Thanks Given
    Lil' more space for trips and more power, a nice reliable 225hp of turbo fun would be good.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    I wish Mazda would get ahead of the Roadster segment. The Miata is fine car, but there are glaring holes in it as I see. They basically share the same chasis from 89-05. Minor differences, sure, but it is essentially the same. That is 16+ years to take what was learned and what didn't work and make it better. The result of the NC was an underwhelming effort. All thee versions are great, but when you look at all the "special" or "limited" editions, that is time and money lost that could have been put back into the model to make it better and keep the competition off-balance.

And what off those "special" models? An undercooked, under developed Mazdaspeed version that comes from the factory with sketchy engine management and aforementioned 16 year old chassis. Is it a bin parts car? The engine and electronics suggest that it is. The NC even more so; suspension from the RX-8, engine from the Ford/Mazda partnership, bloated disingenuous styling.

I understand whet it takes to develop a product like this, I don't expect it to have all unique parts specific to that model, that would be idiotic. What I see, and perhaps this is why the NA/NB versions are still in demand, is a wasted opportunity to take something special and build on it rather than let it become something mediocre, an also-ran.

What I see happening is Mazda wavering on whether or not to continue the model. The amount of consumer group research it has done for the ND suggests the people at the top can't make a decision and the model is dying a slow, painful death. Mazda has a knack for creating a couple of unique models that are fun to drive and have unique engineering. I don't see that anymore. I see a lot of half-baked ideas meant to parlay the public into warmed over products. It's a lack of confidence hidden by smiley-faced products. Get yer shit togther, pick a damn direction and trust your talent.

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    05' MSM
    Thanks Given
    I think Mazda is finally turning it around now. The NC was mediocre because it was a giant compromise due to financial realities. The engineers from Mazda have even outright stated this fact. They have also said that the ND was designed from the ground up all new. They are not adapting it from another platform and while some parts may be common with other vehicles it will be all of the new skyactive stuff which is new in its own right.

They had to claw their way back from the mismanagement from the Ford era and keep afloat which hampered their ability to do what they do best. I am excited to see what they put out in the next few years. I think if they can market their products correctly you will see them grow tremendously. With growth comes $$ that can be used for R&D.

I own an MSM and honestly the ECU was shit. The engine is a parts engine aside from the cams but it is still a good engine. I wish they had thrown in some stronger rods and a better flowing head but they worked with what they had. The chassis, however, has extra bracing and is solid, it has the strongest diff and axels and the shocks are actually quite brilliant if you just put the right spring rates and coilover sleeves on them. The wheels are boat anchors but that was a marketing thing.

Drives
    02 Titanium SE
    Thanks Given
    I noticed another problem tonight

Why in the hell would you have like a 45 degree turn right at the point of entry for air? Mazda could of designed a WAY better intake manifold to atleast try and milk a few extra horsepower out of these little 1.8's....or maybe even another company could design one..

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Square top.

Drives
    02 Titanium SE
    Thanks Given
    Yeah I know, but why wouldn't we get a similarly designed manifold.....
    emissions?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Most likely. Different designs for different driving conditions/federal requirements?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Ihatecars's Avatar
    Drives
    91 BRG
    Thanks Given
    My dash is ugly and sticky. I have it so much.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch jstammer's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Red Mazda Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have a '96. I agree on teh interior lighting as my son's '90 is totally dark. I replaced my tinted dome light cover with the Mitsu clear one and the difference is tremendous.

Would love factory lighting in the trunk. I wound up with one of those battery opperated push on lights stuck onto the bottom of the trunk. Worked for a bit, but eventually came apart. LOL.

Even though I'm only 5'8", I'd like a lower seat position.
    President, Treasure Coast Miata Club
    www.TreasureCoastMiataClub.webs.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast