Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy first Miata

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingcontact View Post
    I came across the blue 94 miata while looking for the mazdaspeed. Around 40,000 miles but $10,000 for a 94. The grey one is the 2006. It is rougher than the mazdaspeed. The Mazdaspeed for the year is excellent condition. Good tires, nice paint.

Not entirely sure what direction I'm going. Looking at a Corolla XRS, Mazda 3 hatchback and a Toyota Matrix XRS today too.

Where is the 94 Blue at? I think that is a 94 Laguna w/tan which is uber rare color/interior option which with low miles would explain the 10k asking price.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Took me a little more than a year to find the first Miata I wanted with the color, age, miles, price I was willing to pay.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Holy time capsule! Pricing seems a bit high. Nice features and options on that one. I don't recall if that is the correct factory stereo or not. I thought those were only in the '93 LEs, but someone else here might.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Just wanted to add... That '94 is a rare find, indeed. It goes beyond the color and interior, though. The '94-95 models are often prized for the upgraded comfort features, OBD1 (easier to modify and run power-adders), and Torsen LSD. That has an LSD (the leather, pw, and cc are the key indicators as it came standard with those upgrades).

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    The blue 94 was $10,000 when I looked at it this weekend. I scoffed at that. Its around $7500 now. Not sure what its worth and didn't know it was any kind of rare. Super low miles on old cars concern me in a way. (I feel old, 94 is 20 years ago?)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I understand. I bought my '92 in '00 with 3x,xxx miles on it. It sat in a garage a lot. When I started driving it everyday, the oil started seeping out of a lot of places. Most of the seals I replaced were just preventative maintenance, but they were dried and brittle from it too.

I love the NAs, but I find my wife's NB a better, easier car to live with as a daily driver/commuter or longer trips just because of the extra room and comfort. I think the NCs will drop considerably when the ND comes out. This will be especially true if that model is better than the NC. When the NC came out, the reaction was tepid and the values on the NBs actually held really well and have been so until the last few years. used cars in general are priced pretty high. Most of that, from what I have read, has been attributed to the Cash for Clunkers program (reducing supply, increasing demand).

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! afc2112's Avatar
    Drives
    Red 1991
    Thanks Given
    7.5k is much more appropriate. Though at that price, I'd still choose the MSM for a bit more cash.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I would lean that way too. If the prices of MSMs had been lower when I bought the 10ae in '09, I would have one. OEM ECU tune aside, it's a good value.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Mountain Green's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Emerald Green Mica
    Thanks Given
    For what its worth, I just got my first Miata. Its a 99 NB, 5 spd sport. 98K odo, runs very strong, tight and love it.
    Only $5 K for it. I'm hooked ! Go for it.

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    i have found some 2000-2002 models with around 100k for $5000-$7500.

Although I am currently looking at a Corolla XRS as well.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch SteelReign's Avatar
    Drives
    04 Steel
    Thanks Given
    Still looking? I think its odd to cross-shop a Miata and also the sporty compacts you listed. Miatas can be daily driven but if its your only car, its tough to do everything. Those compacts probably won't make the commute as fun though. Ever consider something in-between like a sporty coupe? While I was looking for my Miata, I also looked for used 02-06 Acura RSX Type-S's. Those are in your price range, are really practical hatchbacks and can have a little fun too. Another might be a 00-05 Celica GT-S.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    I'm going to throw this in on top of Steel's comments...

I drive a base RSX w/ leather as a daily driver, I was looking for an '02-05 Civic Si because I owned one 10 years ago. If you look at those (EP3/DC5), the Civic Si hatchback is a far better value, especially the '04-05 models. Great interior, funky-but-fun shifter, decent power, fun to drive. I bought the RSX because the deal was too good to pass up. I dislike the seat in it, too flat. The K-series Honda motors are really quite nice, super easy to maintain, reliable as hell. My '03 Si I loaded to the gills and moved form NC to CA in back in '06. All it had was Konis. Eibach springs, a rear sway bar and wheels/tires. It is one of the few cars I regret selling. Fantastic daily driver, the longer roof over the hatch on the Si versus the RSX gives it a lot more utility. The Corolla never impressed me. Same for the Matrix, I looked at them and they have great utility too, but I couldn't feel inspired by it behind the wheel.

The RSX I loaded with my wife, my 70# greyhound and luggage and gear for a week spent on the Outer Banks last summer. I averaged 34 mpg.

I HATE Honda products, save a few, but I love the practicality of these two models.

My '03 SI:

(on the way to CA)

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Im not finding much in my price range and what I do find, especially on civics is very high miles. As far as why I'm looking at Miatas and other cars...the Miata is what I would like most. I found a one owner 2000 for $7000. Going to look into that today.

Idling - Listen to it purr... Mountain Green's Avatar
    Drives
    99 Emerald Green Mica
    Thanks Given
    Just another suggestion, if your looking for a good daily driver, my other Mazda is a 2010 mazda 3- 5 door hatchback.
    It's been flawless ! Sporty yet functional...lots of space, handles the twistys great.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast