Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Revlimter Lenses for Gauge Clusters

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    '97 black NA, bought new, currently in storage while I save up for a restoration/FM V8 transplant
    Thanks Given
    If this Yahoo Japan listing is correct, there were two series of the KGW gauge clusters. The original, which was discontinued a few years ago, was heavier and made of more metal and glass pieces. The second, and current, series is lighter and uses more plastic.

The listing states (Google translation):

"Production end out-of-print is an ultra-scarce goods.
    The current product has been used many plastic parts, initial product ramp around, texture is quite different in the metal also make the instrument panel around.
    Meter glass also I feel the weight that was heavily to have to hand in hard glass. Hard glass, SUS304 hairline finish specifications, I will probably difficult to obtain.
    The initial made of rare parts that are no longer apparent much current. Towards the collector looking for, to dress up around the meter, and how might it be."

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e154836199

This might explain the conflicting descriptions found on-line regarding whether the KGW vs. RS clusters are the same or not. Some say the current KGW clusters are the same as the RS clusters. If true, which size of Adam's panels would fit?

I ordered two sets from Adam (one of each) because I have no clue what cluster I really have or which size it will take--and Adam's lenses are 1/3 the price of the anti-glare KGW lenses AND appear to be FAR more effective in reducing glare based upon the on-line photos I have seen.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    well.... that's.... uncomfortable. The idea that my KGW glass might not fit all of the clusters? My skin is crawling.

We'll burn that bridge when we come to it I guess.

The KGW glass I have is 94.6mm on the large lenses and 50.5mm on the small ones.
    The RSR lenses are 89mm and 41mm.

I don't see any harm in posting these measurements. I should put it on my store page as well.

ANYWAYS.

Thanks for all the orders everyone!!!!! Spent 2 hours packing up all the boxes this morning. And I'm almost out of Hot Wheels after all that packing. Gonna have to go hunt for more.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Bruce (04-25-2015),RotorNutFD3S (04-26-2015)

Drives
    '97 black NA, bought new, currently in storage while I save up for a restoration/FM V8 transplant
    Thanks Given
    This is just all speculative at this point. My guess is that--at the worst--people will need to measure their gauge openings to decide which of your lenses to order.

Based SOLELY on the most recent photos I have been able to find, I am guessing that both the new KGW gauge panels and the RS panels are made by the same company but have adopted the original KGW lens sizes and gauge ring shape.

I'm now pretty sure I have the earlier RS panel with the smaller lenses.

Of course, I could be all wet in which case I will skulk away and rejoin the board under a new alias.........(j/k)/

Drives
    NA6
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    RSR lenses
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    RS panels
    I think you're talking about two different products here. The RS Refine Trim rings and the RS Products version of the KG Works panel.

Drives
    1994 and 1996
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 443 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vee View Post
    I think you're talking about two different products here. The RS Refine Trim rings and the RS Products version of the KG Works panel.
    RS Products original gauge panels have been discontinued. The gauge hole diameters for the tach and speedo are smaller on the original RS Products panel when compared to the KGW panel. The gauge panel that RS Products still sells currently on their site is the KGW panel. The RS Refine gauge rings will fit the original miata gauge panel, and will work with the AWD gauge panels that fit onto the stock gauge panel.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    This is all SO confusing!

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given

Here's as close to a direct comparison as I can get. The top shot was done a few months ago, the bottom was done yesterday.

The top was taken driving around in the daylight. The bottom was done parked in a dark garage with the door open. The bottom garage shot is actually a lot more contrasty lighting conditions and is making the AR lenses work harder and look worse. It's the most difficult lighting I could figure out.

On the top shot, you can just barely see any detail in the tach. It's very blown out. The bottom shot shows some blowout, but you can still see details. But the interesting stuff is happening in the speedometer and oil gauge. You can see my face and the steering wheel reflected like a mirror. That's totally absent from the anti-reflective lenses. You notice this more in real life. Instead of being able to see yourself in the gauges, all you see is a shadowy outline.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Bruce (04-26-2015),Dave737 (04-27-2015),Grip Driver (04-26-2015),RotorNutFD3S (04-27-2015),Tkblazer (04-26-2015),vote4pedro (04-27-2015)

Thanks Given
    That looks fantastic, can't wait to get mine installed!

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Blows away KGW's own new anti-reflective glass. http://www.kgworks.co.jp/4-c-00.htm

And at a dramatically lower US price.

Amazing job (as usual), Adam!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power George's Avatar
    Drives
    '98 Evolution orange NB6
    Thanks Given
    I'll have to get in touch with you about lenses for my independent gauge rings, because I've been looking for this kind of solution for quite some time now without any luck

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    ^ Yes! I'd be happy to make you some lenses George. Or at least supply them to customers in the right size. Wouldn't be much of a problem.

And thanks for the link Bruce. That's KG glass is... odd. Now that I know a whole lot about these materials and the coatings you can put on them, I'm not sure what to make of their official glass. The fact that it's reflecting the same color back, just less of it, is very strange. I wonder if it's a mechanical (frosted) solution instead of a chemical coating?

Anyways, I'm really happy with my glass. Worth the time and effort. And thanks for the great support and sales everyone!

Onto the next project.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Bruce (04-27-2015),Phatmiata (04-27-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Tkblazer's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 94
    Thanks Given
    Thanks for the quick shipping Adam! uploadfromtaptalk1430183803345.jpg

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkblazer For This Useful Post:

Bruce (04-27-2015),Phatmiata (04-27-2015)

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Dang! Record setting install.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to revlimiter For This Useful Post:

Bruce (04-27-2015),lowandrusty (04-27-2015)

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Tkblazer's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 94
    Thanks Given
    Haha, they showed up today so I might as well install them

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tkblazer For This Useful Post:

lowandrusty (04-27-2015)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! lowandrusty's Avatar
    Drives
    '93 red and tan
    Thanks Given
    Just received mine today as well. Thanks Adam!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast