Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we in the Golden Age of the Miata?

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! WASABI's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 British Racing Green
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 795 Posts

Are we in the Golden Age of the Miata?

Is this the BEST time to buy a Miata? An NA Miata, for sure!

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Are we in the golden age for the Miata? I know they seem to be a dime a dozen, and they can still be found fairly inexpensive with reasonable mileage. Hell, you can still get an NA with around 100,000 miles for under $3,000.00 in most places. But, in five more years you will see 200,000 mile cars for sale, as the norm.

These cars are made to drive, and be enjoyed. As we continue to drive these little cars, on the road, or on the track, we are tacking on the miles. This means wear and tear, risk of accidents, modifications (good and bad), and rocker rust. It will make it harder to find clean low mileage examples. Harder to find stock replacement parts, hardtops, seats (leather OMG), dashes, soft top frames, motors, and all those little bits, clips and pieces of the interior, that are not being made any more. In a few years, many of our own cars will need "restorations", instead of just "maintenance".

The Miata just passed the 25 year mark, and more and more people are joining the roadster bandwagon. Soon there will be three versions of the miata that are no longer in production. The NA cars are about to reach "Vintage" status.

I've seen the NA prices up about $600.00 - $1,200.00 for a 100,000 to 150,000 mile car, from a couple of years ago. NB prices have stayed pretty level. NC prices are on the decline.
    Seems like a lot of younger buyers are searching for an NA Miata, looking for the next cool car. To mod, and slam, and drift. Unfortunately many of those Roadsters will be beat to death, or crashed.

I think this is a perfect time to buy a Miata.

-Cheers,

Jim

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

etikoner (06-24-2014),Phatmiata (06-24-2014),ueru (06-24-2014)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I thought we were on the downhill slope when they took the oil pressure gauge out of the Miata

When gasoline internal combustion engines become a minority in the powertrain mix, yes, an old age will have passed and a new one begun.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    NA prices took a dive when the economy felled out (2008-2013ish) . Frankly, I've seen a pricing upswing, even for cars that I'd consider junk.
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Oh, those E-Types! Want!!!

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Focus, brah, focus...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to The Driver For This Useful Post:

WASABI (06-24-2014)

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Define golden age, you are implying by your statement that any time is a bad time to buy/own a miata.
    I simply don't find this to be true. Anytime is miata time.
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Focus, brah, focus...
    I'm easily distracted by beauty

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    I'd tend to agree, the market price will continue to increase on Miatas. NAs will probably appreciate the most. They are the first generation and that always becomes the most desirable generation of most every model car. We also all know that SE and LE cars are also up on the list as well as limited run paint colors, C package cars and so on.

I guess I need to find a nice BRG and join the Gentleman's Club asap. I'll also keep my 94 as it is the first year of the NA8 and many consider it the best year for the NA - I have reservations about that, but that is what people claim. So yes, Wasabi, now is the golden age and the time to buy a Miata before the prices begin escalating.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

WASABI (06-24-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I am sure that when the ND comes out all 3 generations will take a huge price hit, and THAT will be the buyers market, but it won't last very long. Right now with all the hype the NA is getting I am seeing some upward price swings, not sure about the other gens as I have not been watching. But considering most NA's are in the 20~25 year mark, I would say that if you want any Limited Edition Miata; 93LE, 91BRG, Sunburst Yellow, 95Merlot or other M-Editions I would say to start looking right now!!! As these cars will start changing hands very soon as current owners retire from Miataville, or pass on to the next life. I plan to pass down 2 Miatas, (one for each of my sons). So don't hold your breath for any of my cars, hahahha

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

WASABI (06-24-2014)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Here is a post I made about Miata Production Numbers, read it and get an idea of where the NA is going IMHO.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....uction-Numbers

Right now there might be a surplus of NAs but like WASABI stated that wont last forever. My guess is in 10 years all the good ones are snatched up, and just junkers will be available, but that is just me.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RuckkehrMiata View Post
    Define golden age, you are implying by your statement that any time is a bad time to buy/own a miata.
    I simply don't find this to be true. Anytime is miata time.
    I'm saying now is probably the BEST time to buy an NA (a 3 to 5 year window). Before the prices rise. Before all the used ones for sale have 200,000+ miles on them. Before, they all have been repainted, or plasti-dipped. The cars aren't getting any younger, and more are taken out of a viable pool of good cars every year, from rust, neglect, damage. I just think that we are in a great age to buy them up, at a bargain.

-Jim

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Martin, those Jags were at a British car show I went to last Sunday... soooooo nice in person. 20+ E Types there.

As well as a few other choice Jags.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WASABI For This Useful Post:

Martin (06-24-2014),riefdaddy (06-24-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! riefdaddy's Avatar
    Drives
    94 Red NA
    Thanks Given
    Mmmmmm, D Type.... must... fight... urge.... for British... car.... remember.... Lucas.... electronics...<gasp>

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riefdaddy For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (06-24-2014),WASABI (06-24-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I'm reading this without any money sitting on an 95M that's been heavily neglected and UN M-editioned by previous owners, and I. lol

When I bought my 95M I saw others for sale ranging from 3500- 5500. Now I regularly see them hovering at asking prices of around 7500.

I wonder what someone could ask for an un-molested under 100,000 k miles NA miata 10 years from now.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    I'm reading this without any money sitting on an 95M that's been heavily neglected and UN M-editioned by previous owners, and I. lol

When I bought my 95M I saw others for sale ranging from 3500- 5500. Now I regularly see them hovering at asking prices of around 7500.

I wonder what someone could ask for an un-molested under 100,000 k miles NA miata 10 years from now.
    I have a 95M right now with 47K on the clock, no rust, wanna buy it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast