Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hey sponsors: Who wants to be awesome and make a single din gauge panel for an NB?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by cbaylis77 View Post
    I'm confused
    Aren't we just talking about one of these?
    Attachment 9398
    A simple 3 gauge panel?
    If so I got mine at WWW.thompson-automotive.com

I've been through the wringer on this subject. I purchased an !njoy Carlife unit, never received it.

I then purchased the I.L. Motorsports unit that's pretty much identical to the Thompson unit. It doesn't fit worth a damn. I had to "shim" the hell out of it with cardboard chunks and it looks terrible. REALLY irritates me that something as common as an NB Miata would result in two strikeouts for a part this simple.

There's no "cage" or anything that should be behind the console trim piece, right? Previous owner installed a single DIN stereo with a Metra install kit.

Removing all that for the I.L Motorsport install gave me this. Anything missing? I don't think there is.

Here you can see how crappy it fits side to side:

There's enough play side to side that you can get this sort of angle on it. This creates rattling and falling out. I ended up sitting the radio in the bottom DIN, this panel in the top, and there was about an 1/8-1/4" gap between the top of the panel and the upper trim. Unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    You think there would be more there for support. Haven't gotten around to pulling the crappy Bose stuff out yet so I don't know.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    a 1/4" gap? WTF

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    I also own the I'L motorsports part for miata, never installed cause is piece of crap. My options are the glove box gauge holder or a replica of the GV hood with integrated gauge holder if they make one for the NB. A picture here although I prefer the gauges in the glove box.

http://rev9autosport.com/na/interior...auge-hood.html

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RoadsterTech's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    All I can say is that ours are just a bit different....
    they are spaced to fit perfectly inside of the gap and fill the center cutout. There will be no movement.
    We are either going to have ball detents to hold the bracket in place or a back clamp that is tensioned from the side..
    thats what we are working on now...

They will not be injection molded or stamped out of thin aluminum or steel....

as soon as we finish the clamping arrangement I will post pics.
    You may know me as RAB or BCT or Rick depends on where you look.

Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    I also own the I'L motorsports part, never installed cause is piece of crap. My options are the glove box gauge holder or a replica of the GV hood with integrated gauge holder if they make one for the NB. A picture here although I prefer the gauges in the glove box.

http://rev9autosport.com/na/interior...auge-hood.html
    the side mounted gauge is definitely more readable... but not very stealthy, I know thats what you are looking for.

Drives
    Thanks Given
    How about something like this with a hidden panel that is removable to expose the gauges?

Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    For Liability reasons I'm not going to do anything with the Airbag area.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RoadsterTech For This Useful Post:

Hyper (10-03-2013)

Drives
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadsterTech View Post
    For Liability reasons I'm not going to do anything with the Airbag area.
    Disclaimer: The following is for information purposes only. Removing any safety device from your car can compromise the car's occupants' safety. No warranties, expressed or implied, are given regarding the validity or legality of this information and the effect using it may have on your car. Perform the task described AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Working with airbag modules is DANGEROUS. If you live in dry, staticy conditions, be especially careful, since the module can be deployed with a fairly small electrical pulse. You should always disconnect the battery (after first disabling any radio-based security systems, or recording the recovery codes) before attempting any of these modifications. Airbag components and steering wheels should be removed by a licensed technician trained with handling these electronic systems. The following information is for individuals who enjoy working on their own vehicles and are aware of risks involved. We can not accept any responsibility for problems associated with the implementation or interpretation of these technical guides. Reader accepts full responsibility.

Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Disclaimer: The following is for information purposes only. Removing any safety device from your car can compromise the car's occupants' safety. No warranties, expressed or implied, are given regarding the validity or legality of this information and the effect using it may have on your car. Perform the task described AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Working with airbag modules is DANGEROUS. If you live in dry, staticy conditions, be especially careful, since the module can be deployed with a fairly small electrical pulse. You should always disconnect the battery (after first disabling any radio-based security systems, or recording the recovery codes) before attempting any of these modifications. Airbag components and steering wheels should be removed by a licensed technician trained with handling these electronic systems. The following information is for individuals who enjoy working on their own vehicles and are aware of risks involved. We can not accept any responsibility for problems associated with the implementation or interpretation of these technical guides. Reader accepts full responsibility.
    Ask someone we know if she could burst through that clause. At minimum it would require a lawyer and some court time to defend.
    My liability insurance to do anything with that risk would cost me more than my gross sales on these parts.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadsterTech View Post
    the side mounted gauge is definitely more readable... but not very stealthy, I know thats what you are looking for.
    I want stealth parts for my roadster!. lol, seriously, this is a convertible car, the moment thieves look at gauges inside the car it becomes a target for a slashed top. That's why I would like someone to design gauge holder in the glove box in first place and because most NB have double din radios. there is no space unless you swap the radio. .

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! cbaylis77's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 1999
    Thanks Given
    Just to clarify I wasn't saying the cheap panels are as good as Roadstertech's. Just that they do exist. That was the OPs question.

But to answer the quality question. Yes, the panel I have sucks. There should be more support behind it.

Disclaimer, my dash was also hacked up when I got the car. I do believe the fit would have been better if I did it myself.

In the future I would love to try one of Roadstertech's panels.
    Miata family: '93 auto "Blacky", '99 turbo "Frankenstein" and '05 Mazdaspeed.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I read it's a felony to remove the airbag from the car.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLIONMX5 View Post
    I read it's a felony to remove the airbag from the car.
    Looks like a lot of people have committed felony's removing the airbag when installing an aftermarket steering wheel then.

That slashed top pick up top made me cringe
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! HELLIONMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    BLACKOUT AKA a 2005 black mica mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Yeah, I know. Wish I could remember where I read it. It was just this week

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast