Thread: Change of platform?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone RustRat's Avatar
    Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given

Change of platform?

So, time has come that I need a car. Can't rely on my parents' car to move around. I have a budget if around 5K euros (currency is not so important, I'll display all the info you need in euros). And I have 3 options.

1. I "fix" my red NA with around 3K just to roll.

Fixing includes a budget VVT engine swap, an MS3, and aluminum radiator and a paintjob. Just the basic maintenance for the engine, no replacing the old and brittle weatherstrips and seals around the car, no work on the brakes, no work on the bushings, the old and torn apart vinyl hood. Basically the basic just for the car to roll. (And of course gathering parts for the ITB setup, in the future)

2. Buy a "unicorn" car one friend if mine sells for 6K

Just 64K kms (50k miles), one owner, untouched engine bay, hardtop, fuji lsd, frame rails, a lot of aftermarket parts, invcluding a set if Adam's gauges. I can't justify this amount of money right now, so he agreed that he'll buy any aftermarket parts I remove from the car (since I have almost all if these I want, from mine: coilovers, wheels, KGworks cluster with Rev gauges, nardi wheel, R-pkg lip, rear bumper, rear bootlid, Raybrig headlights, Retrosound radio, rollbar etc). He agreed to shave off a couple thousand euros, so the actual cost would be around 4000 euros.

3. Final choice: Buy an RX8 for 5000 euros

It's from a friend, I can compression check it any time, 70k kms, Challenge (192hp).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Mazdaspeed3 Turbo Hatchback

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    So, why not just fix what you already have and just make it more comfortable and reliable? Modifying is great and everything, but if you want something you can count on, refurbishing a known entity seems more logical than buying something unknown. Skip the engine, the ECU, just rebuild and refurbish. When you know you have the means, then you can look into mods. Yes?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (10-26-2016),Rogue (10-26-2016)

Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    Well, I'd love to do that, but honestly, I got tired. It has been an argument point with my parents because most of my income was going to car parts, and they argued that I spend a lot of money on a car that is not worth it. I'd rather part it out and start from a clean base. It had a lot of issues when I bought it, I tried to fix them, but as I said, I got tired of it.

@phat the Mazda 3 MPS as it is called here is one of my favorite cars, but it costs twice as much as the rx8, and the cost to keep it road legal is more than a thousand euros per year.

@Hyper NCs are not Miatas. just kidding, but if I was to spend money on a car, it would be on a clean NA, or something entirely different. I like NBs and NCs, but they are not for me.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue
    Thanks Given
    Don't go anywhere near a RX8; in the UK, many seem to be pretty much worthless

eg. https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-rx8/1195838942

Or put it another way, don't sink 5k Euro into one, unless what you really mean is 1k on the car, 4k in reserve for when the inevitable happens, friend or no friend.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    The RX8 is a terrible car. No way around that, except an LF/LX swap and that is not doable in your price range in Europe

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

NCGreasemonkey (10-26-2016),RustRat (10-27-2016)

Drives
    Red NA8C 1.6L
    Thanks Given
    You guys just smashed my dreams

Thank you for your input, seems like the only option is to go back to a Miata, since I already have 3-4000 worth of parts.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift NCGreasemonkey's Avatar
    Drives
    '95 NA NA8 w/small tweeks
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 859 Posts
    You would be very sad with anything else young Jedi!
    ... Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    ...and don't be like an NCGreasemonkey.
    For the thread on Noir click below
    http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....e-light-Slowly

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Consider this: a cleaner Miata, like an NB, and transfer over the stuff that can. NB makes a for a better daily driver anyways. Recoup some of the cost by making your current Miata driveable, selling it. Also sell off the stuff that doesn't transfer. Cut your losses, stay with a platform you understand, don't modify it above your capabilities to repair it. Reliablity>performance.