Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Flyin 92's Avatar
    Drives
    White '92
    Thanks Given
    Digging the fuel cap. Adds a bit of retro flare.

And I feel your pain on the throw-out bearing issue. Mine issue is the rear main is leaking... again. It's frustrating burning an afternoon to remove everything to replace a $5 part.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacatac View Post
    If I said the things in my head I would make a lot of enemies. All I wanted to say was "Isn't the fact that your double chin is resting on your tits enough motivation?"
    Link to the most lack-luster build in MR history

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyin 92 For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-16-2019),tsingson (12-16-2019)

Drives
    '02 Laser Blue Mica
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin 92 View Post
    And I feel your pain on the throw-out bearing issue. Mine issue is the rear main is leaking... again. It's frustrating burning an afternoon to remove everything to replace a $5 part.
    Mine started making bad noise just before I put it up for the winter this year. I replaced the clutch about 6 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    I dont know a word you just said, but that **** sounded COOL.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    Very creative. I’ve never seen another one like it.
    Thanks Kyle! At least I think so....unless that is a polite way of saying it's a big pile of poo... j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Mine started making bad noise just before I put it up for the winter this year. I replaced the clutch about 6 years ago.
    That stinks. Pulling the transmission wasn't as bad as I thought but I need to do a upgraded clutch and I'm confident the motor mounts are shot so I need to save up for all of it.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power freedomgli's Avatar
    Drives
    1991 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2000 View Post
    Thanks Kyle! At least I think so....unless that is a polite way of saying it's a big pile of poo... j/k.
    It was a sincere compliment. Keep up the good work.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freedomgli For This Useful Post:

Greasemonkey2000 (12-23-2019),tsingson (12-23-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
    You are definitely creative and good with tools Chad! I really like the updates, they match the theme perfectly.

It may be a good idea to get Onyx some hearing protection. I hate power tools as well, so I use the headphone-style ones often
    Thanks Harry, I try my best! Funny you should say that because that is exactly what I told Onyx and she just said, "No I just will come back when you are done making loud noises."

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
    It was a sincere compliment. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, Kyle. Was just giving you a hard time.
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

tsingson (12-23-2019)

Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    12-21-19: While the weather in central Texas was a little chilly today, only mid 50's for the high, it was still nice enough to tackle another project I have been wanting to do...a rear bumper cut. It is "free", relatively easy to do and not very time consuming to do.

The hardest part is figuring out how aggressive you want it and how to taper it off at the ends. In the end I decided "more is more" and to take it as high as possible with out having to remove the rear "crash bar".

I just couldn't get the ends the way I wanted so for now I went with a rather "straight taper", plus I plan on doing a diffuser, possibly custom, and that may work best with it.

Not much to share here in terms of tips, etc. but there are LOTS of videos out there on doing bumper cuts on Miata's specifically. I used a smaller 3", iirc, angle grinder with a cut off wheel that worked really well in terms of cutting and leaving a nice edge. The key here is keeping it moving as it just starts to melt the plastic and throws melted plastic all over you to scar you for life.

On to the pictures! A few before and after pics first and then a few end result pics.

You might notice "a little person" reflection(in the before pic), yes Onyx, my 5yr old grand daughter, was there helping me once again but she gets scarce when using power tools as she doesn't like how loud they are so she would come and go thru out the process.

All said and done I am happy with the results. It is only the second time doing one and definitely seen plenty of others done better but again I think the taper will look/work better with a diffuser.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (02-13-2020),lucmor444 (12-22-2019),MiataQuest (12-22-2019),tsingson (12-21-2019)