Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718192262 ... LastLast

Thread: This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 530 Posts
    Got home, within two hours I was out replacing the clutch master and slave. Unfortunately that didn't fix my problem. It's acting like the clutch isn't disengaging the tranny fully which makes it hard to shift. I tried adjusting the push rod twice without much change. Only other thing I can think it might be is the throwout lever is broken in some fashion. I'm going to try adjusting the push rod again in the morning, if that doesn't work then I may be pulling the transmission.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    Been having some problems with the clutch on the hydraulic side. Bled the system and got a lot of air out, although it didn't seem like it was all out. Action was improved initially but then degraded again (as experienced by difficulty in getting the lever into some gears). I also tried adjusting the actuating rod at the pedal but with no change. I suspect I have some internal leakage past the piston in either the master or slave, I've ordered replacements to install when I get home.

Put on the cover I picked up off eBay before leaving this morning. It was listed as being a dealer's show-off cover, has the Mazda emblem on the front, "Get In, Be Moved" on each side and "No Peeking" on the back. It's yellow which is the one black mark against it (I know someone who might beg to differ on that point). I asked my wife what she thought of it, she said it was cute. I have to restrain myself from killing it with fire after that...
    did you replace the clutch line?? just ccurious?? what brand?? Moss??

Thanks Given
    I have the longer clutch line that replaces both the stock pigtail and rubber hose. Can't remember just who I got mine from without digging into receipts but it was probably either 949 Racing or TSE.

Did some research last night on my problem, found one guy with a FM Happy Meal like mine who ended up having to get a new clutch/pressure plate from them. As a last try I adjusted the pedal this morning to increase the overall travel. While this puts it a little higher than I would like (it's topped out on the switch bracket) it appears to have fixed the problem. I may try some minor adjusting to see what I can do with it, I'm just glad I won't have to pull the tranny.
    '00 SE, intercooled BRP MP62, Reverant MS2, Ohlins DFV, Konig Flatout (now X 2)
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    This ain't no build thread!

Thanks Given
    Still having some problems with the clutch. Spoke to a tech at FM yesterday and he gave me one other thing to try. If that doesn't do it then I'll have to get another clutch.

Got a fresh alignment this morning. Last time I used the FM specs, this time I went with 949's Dual Duty specs. Main difference between the two is more front camber. In just the short drive home I noticed quicker turn-in with lighter feeling steering. Not sure if my power-on oversteer has been affected much or not, that will be checked on my next drive.

Thanks Given
    Spent about three hours quality time with the Miata this morning. Pulled the 'charger so I could access the O2 sensor plug (I have now moved that so it is accessible at all times), removed the O2 sensor for the wideband and calibrated same. Shimmed the 'charger nose out with an additional two washers to see if that will finally let the belt track straight. Finally, identified my slight coolant leak as coming from the thermostat cover on the reroute spacer, so pulled that off, cleaned it up, made a new gasket and used some silicone on both sides this time. Going to let that dry overnight before refilling the system. Everything else is buttoned back up and ready to go. I'm going to check the last item on the clutch later today, it's a bit muggy out at present.

Oh, and while the new alignment is ace, it doesn't stop power-on oversteer. Things are pretty controllable however.

Thanks Given
    Measured travel at the clutch slave cylinder, it's 16mm which matched what FM measured on one of theirs. Also checked that I could push the slave pushrod back into the cylinder (this is necessary to ensure you don't have the pedal pushrod too tight), I could. So it's looking like I'll be getting another clutch.

Thanks Given
    Rain today so didn't do much of anything. Topped off the coolant after letting the silicone on the reroute spacer set up overnight, pulled the front bumper cover and replaced the passenger side foglight that I broke. FYI, you can't adjust the aim of the light by pulling on the housing. It will break, trust me. Just loosen the bolts and do it the right way.

Also removed the XPel film from the headlights that wasn't quite right. I have a new set to put on but didn't want to mess with it tonight.

Thanks Given
    Out driving today and started getting a stutter again. Just got done pulling the plugs, coolant in #4 cylinder. !@#!#$)$^)*&)#$^^&&)@$*@@!!!!!! I have no idea why this is, car was fine, no overheating or anything else that would cause a problem, now this.

Thanks Given
    Three hours and fifteen minutes to pull the head off the Miata. Looks fine with no apparent warpage. The only thing I can think of is the slightly uneven tightening I did due to that little bit of wiring that got trapped at the rear. If that was it, then it means the MLS gaskets can absolutely not be compressed more than once. I'm going to try cleaning the head up with some aluminum polish I saw at Ace, ordering the gasket in the morning.

Helpful tip, an easy way to remove hard-to-reach washers is to use a magnet. My fingers are somewhat long and slender, but just won't reach into the head very well.

Thanks Given
    Got the head gasket ordered, it will be here on Wednesday. Cleaned up the head and block surfaces, due for a root canal tomorrow so I doubt I'll feel like doing much. Replaced the studs/nuts holding the reroute spacer on with socket head cap screws, I couldn't get the one nut tight enough to make me happy due to the machining which restricted access to it. I had put the bottom nuts for the intake manifold on the head so they wouldn't get lost, as I was cleaned it up I noticed one was missing. Looked all over for the damn thing and couldn't find it, right before I came in I moved the head slightly and heard a clink. There it was! Still have no idea where it was hiding.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 09-16-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks Given
    Pictures of the head before/after cleaning:

Thanks Given
    Got the Miata mostly back together, getting the timing belt on and set gave me fits for some reason (last time it only took me twice to get it set right). Still have to put on the belly pan and cowl cover, and get some more coolant to fill things up. Then we'll see how she runs. Didn't get more done because I had to wait on the gasket, and tonight was date night.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    Sweet! Hopefully this will have you up and running just fine!

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefmg View Post
    ...and tonight was date night.
    Bwow chicka bwow wow

Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon I Am View Post
    Sweet! Hopefully this will have you up and running just fine!
    Thanks Tony. I'm hoping the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Bwow chicka bwow wow
    I don't think I'll be showing that to the wife.

Rain cleared so just got back from a test drive. Everything seems fine. Waiting on her to cool so I can check the radiator level.

Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415161718192262 ... LastLast