Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about lightening a 1.6 Flywheel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RoadsterTech's Avatar
    Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given

What do you think about lightening a 1.6 Flywheel?

I was looking at the Spec Miata forum and it looks like there's some rumbling to allow the 1.6ers to remove the back inertia ring from their flywheels.
    Looks to be around $100.00 for the ring removal, surfacing and balancing.

What do you guys think about doing this?
    You may know me as RAB or BCT or Rick depends on where you look.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I never heard that one before. Then again, I run a 1.8L.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Sorry I just checked. It was an old thread.
    I am more interested in lightening the Flywheel. Since it appears hi have been somewhat endorsed.
    Good idea or not.

Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Here is the old link.
    http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/u...4;t=002885;p=0

I guess my biggest question is that if safety. I haven't heard of any broken flywheels on a Miata.
    What do you guys think. Any one running a lightened OEM flywheel?

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    That is my biggest fear too. I think the pricing on good chromoly flywheels is an extra $100-$200 more. Hard to put a price on peace of mind.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    I've had nothing but good experiences with the F1 lightweight flywheel on both of our cars.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power maharaj's Avatar
    Drives
    angry
    Thanks Given
    I wouldn't lighten a factory flywheel. The tolerance will be compromised. If a lighter flywheel is what you are wanting then I'd suggest a lighter aftermarket one but make sure it isn't made in China!!!!!!!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I had a racing beat flywheel in mine, it took a couple days to get used to, but it was fine after that. I don't have experience with the stock one being lightened other than regular maintenance (like getting it turned) when you replace the clutch.

Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    After reading a lot of threads on this from multiple different forums I have come to believe that the only safe lightening is to only remove the inertia ring on the back side of the flywheel. Any additional removal of structural material in my mind is unsafe. I value my ankles too much!

What can one expect to remove from the back side of the Flywheel?
    We are talking about a cylinder with an ID of 235mm and an OD of 245mm and a height of 9.5mm. If I am overly optimistic I would say that I could remove 3 lbs this way in reality I think it would be more like 2.5 lbs or 1.134Kg.

This is a rotating cylinder so the inertia is 1/2M(a^2 +b^2) a = inside diameter and b = outside diameter.

This gives us and inertia of 0.0679 KgM^2.

Inertia is an interesting beast in that it effects torque only on acceleration and is based on the acceleration component. So, we are looking a an effect that only occurs during acceleration the faster the acceleration the more negative effect on torque the inertia will have.

Logic would tell us that the acceleration on first gear will have the greatest parasitic effect (at least on a 1.6 Miata). First gear gives us the greatest acceleration.

I have some handy force calculators I use when sizing servo systems. I decided to use these here.. I only needed a viable Idle to red line speed in first gear... One of the TBM members published a chart in his Megasquirt thread that gives me that acceleration time.

For first gear we see it taking ~4 seconds. to go from 650 to around ~7650 RPM... I will use a rise of 7000 rpm over 4 seconds.
    this gives us an acceleration time of 1,763 RPM/Sec.

Pluging this into my calculator I get a required torque of 3.72 NM or 2.75 lbf-ft. This reduced with every gear change. So that is about the maximum torque saving we would get on a safe lightening of an OEM 1.6 flywheel.

Assuming a max torque of ~90lbft we would effectively get 92.75 lbft, a savings of less than 1% I think I will spend my money elsewhere.

I am not bashing Aftermarket Flywheels these reduce the spinning weight by a significant amount, but safely shaving an OEM Flywheel just doesn't get you much and is not worth the $100.00 to lighten and balance.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Well you can always install a scatter shield if you are worried about it exploding, but then that kinda defeats the purpose of shaving the weight in the first place.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    A lighter flywheel can add more chatter from gear lash. My aluminum FW was ~8# and chattered quite a bit. My Chromoly FW weighed ~10# and was much quieter. I don't recall much, if any gear lash heard on that one. Both were 1.6 sized.

You can expect inertia to fall off much quicker between shifts, which can be a little wearisome in stop-and-go traffic. You can also find heal/toe maneuvers much easier because of quicker RPM response. Personally, it was one of my favorite modifications I did to my Miata for enhancing the driving experience.

I don't like lightening the flywheel because it is cast iron. It just worries me about eliminating the material and exposing a flaw or stress fracture in the casting. I like my ankles too much to risk a spinning guillotine should it let go. $.02

Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    right now goodwin has the 1.6 F1 for $184.00 "Demon I am" did you have any issues with the F1 flywheel? Kung fu do you have the F1? BTW I calculated a 10lb wheel and in first gear it gives around an 7.4 lb-ft increase in available torque... not too shabby for a $184.00 investment. This or a header? I think the Flywheel might actually be of more benefit.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts
    I love my f1 flywheel. I have one the an OE Exedy clutch in the Miata, and one with an ACT Stage1 in the SpecV. Car spins up much quicker and makes rev-matching a breeze.

KFJ saw mine when we did the engine swap, so he knows more about how it looks after 2 years than I do.

I would suggest the flywheel, and a new clutch, if you think yours is in need of replacement. It's a big job to replace. Bang-for-buck though, it is pretty awesome.

Drives
    '91 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    I actually have a exedy stage 1 waiting for the engine to be swapped out. So now is the perfect time to do this.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Rick, I bought my F1 FW from Goodwin. It is a nice piece and a good price. Be warned the pilot bearing bore may need a little clearancing to get the bearing in properly. A little time with some emory cloths will do the trick. That was the only issue I had with it. I would do this before the header. It just makes the car far more entertaining to drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast