So, the front right lower ball joint separated suddenly on me today. Just a pleasure cruise between tasks, no hooning, only enjoying the return of warm weather to the Carolinas.

I am unhurt, the car is remarkably well, mostly some lathing on the inside of the wheel from the control arm dropping on it and me keeping the car to a safe stop.

Here's the full story:

My wife and I were relocating from California to North Carolina. One of us was going to have to drive the moving truck, the other would follow in the NB. I hurried to ready the car for the trip, so I bought inner/outer tie rod ends and lower ball joints off Ebay from "worldsuspension". I installed them easily as I have done this job many times before. The inner tie rod ends were the wrong ones and my old ones were straight and solid so I left them in.

My wife drives this car as a daily driver, the roads aren't bad out here. It is not tracked, lowered or autocrossed. About two weeks ago, the steering became a bit rubbery and stiff, the car wasn't returning to center as it should. Figured it was caster, because my inspection of the ball joints and tie rod ends gave me no play. Alignment checked out fine.

It had occurred to me that those parts may be causing the issues, as I know a few others in KINOD had issues with these parts.

Lucky for me, I wasn't on the highway. I had just made a turn and was heading straight when the front right collapsed. I feel fortunate for decent driving experience too, because I didn't panic and was able to bring the car to a controlled stop. It's funny, because before the turn, I was considering taking the freeway just a 1/4 mile up the road. I couldn't imagine what would have happened at 70mph, or worse yet, if wife had been driving it. I had the car towed to a shop I trust as I don't have the space nor possibly the correct tools to get piece of BJ still in the knuckle out. I will be requesting OEM or better, well-known manufacturer parts when the shop calls me about the car now sitting in their parking lot. Something I should have done in the first place.

Please don't make my mistake, spend the extra money on good parts, ESPECIALLY brakes, steering and suspension. If you aren't sure, ASK. That's why we have forums like this.