Thread: GeoMetro Powered Miata?

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts

GeoMetro Powered Miata?

I guess if the miatas gas mileage is not good enough, sure why not?

The Metro Miata “Cold Rod”

Quote Originally Posted by Jack McCornack
    I'm driving a new car to the other Mother Earth News Fairs this year (the one in Seven Springs PA next weekend, September 20-22 and the one in Lawrence KS October 12-13). It's not exactly a new car, but it's new to me; it's what my dad used to call a “cold rod”, and...

You're familiar with hot rods, right? You take the engine out of an old car and put a bigger engine in its place; you get higher performance but lower mileage. A cold rod is where you take the engine out of an old car and put a smaller engine in it; you get higher mileage but lower performance. In both cases, and old car is chosen because A) old cars are lighter, simpler, and easier to modify than new cars, and B) you are more likely to find an old car which is economically suited to such a modification, as indicated by squirrels living in the air cleaner, or clues in the CraigsList ad, such as “engine needs work” or “ran when parked”.

This particular cold rod is a '91 Miata with a '96 Geo Metro three-banger under the bonnet. The builder, Jim Fujioko, has moved on to a more practical high-mileage Miata with a Ford Festiva engine. At 63 horsepower, the Festiva provides significantly more oomph than the 55 horse Metro, plus it was a much easier installation, so Jim gave me a deal on the Metro Miata, thus saving me a whole lot of work.

To quote my late dad again, You can do anything you want, you just can't do everything you want. I want to make a Metro-powered MAX with Miata running gear (I'll explain why in some other Update) and Jim's car has the hard part of that job done for me already – all I'll have to do is swap his work into a MAX chassis and cover it with a MAX body. Meanwhile, I'll gain the experience of driving a civilized high-mileage car across the country, and I'll have a direct Before/After comparison for when it gets MAXified. We'll get to see how much of MAX's 100 mpg comes from the driveline, and how much is thanks to light weight and streamlining.

Gosh, I wish I could drive two cars at once, but MAX is staying home this trip. I had hoped for a co-driver so we could drive MAX and MeMi (cars get names around here and this one was too easy, it's pronounced Mimi) in formation to the Fairs, but it turns out that most folks have responsibilities and can't just hit the road for five weeks.

I'll be on stage from 2:30 to 3:30 Sunday at both Fairs, talking about MAX and MeMi and other high mileage projects, and I'll open the floor to questions and comments from fairly early on. We have plenty to talk about.

Ah to each his own, but I'm pretty sure the stock NA is slow enough already.

Read More here : http://www.motherearthnews.com/green...#axzz2fGdi26db

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I wonder what MPG the Roadster gets??

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    We used to have Geo Metros as delivery vehicles back in the day. Before my day, my dad was running down I-4 in one and it lost the belt. The belt ran the fan, water pump, alternation, and ac. He drove from Daytona to Orlando with no belt and it never overheated. I want one for a DD.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    He has a HUGE thread @ M.Net. One has to admire or at least respect his ingenuity!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    Why? Miata's are slow as is!!!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I can see where folks are coming from, the NA miatas are cheap, lightweight, etc, however as they say on the pointy board, not my cup of tea.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Thanks Given
    FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFA ILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAILFAIL FAIL and suck
    Just another cracka azz cracka with an Old Beat up '97