Thread: New Mazda boss: Rotary is a no-go

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone MRnewsBot's Avatar
    Drives
    Mazda News
    Thanks Given

New Mazda boss: Rotary is a no-go

New Mazda boss: Rotary is a no-go

HIROSHIMA, Japan -- Masa-michi Kogai, the new CEO of Mazda Motor Corp., has set what looks like an impossibly high bar for reintroducing the company's rotary engine.

Sales would have to total 100,000 a year for Mazda to resurrect the technology, he said. So Mazda isn't planning a rotary revival, he said.

"No plans now," Kogai said in an interview Friday. "It has to be a viable commercial proposition. If we are going to adopt it, it has to be a product that can generate at least sales of 100,000 units a year. We have to be able to achieve a profit."

Kogai, a no-nonsense production veteran with a knack for cost crunching, took office in June after overhauling the company's manufacturing.

Among his coups: transforming Mazda's erstwhile loss-making Japan operations into a lean export machine able to post profits with tough foreign exchange rates.

The rotary engine had been a Mazda bragging point ever since the company became the first to market the technology in 1968, in its Familia Rotary Coupe/Mazda R100.

But the company killed the powerplant last year when the last RX-8 sports car rolled off the line. The engine is also known as the Wankel after the German engineer who invented it.

A rebirth has been the subject of incessant speculation -- often fueled by Mazda itself. Last year, then-President Takashi Yamanouchi dangled the idea of putting a rotary in a hybrid vehicle to generate electricity that would charge the battery.

Nothing has come of that so far.

The engine's chief hurdle is technical -- meeting today's more stringent emissions regulations. It would also mean giving valuable production capacity to a unique small-batch model.

In 2011, the RX-8's last full-year of sales in the United States, Mazda sold only 759 of the cars in its biggest market. The RX-8's peak annual sales in the United States were 23,690 units in 2004, according to the Automotive News Data Center. The rotary-powered RX-7's U.S. sales peak was 56,203 units in 1986.

At today's lean Mazda, which just booked its first annual profit in five years, the new priorities are cost performance, economies of scale and uniform manufacturing. So it's hardly receptive to what some may see as vanity projects.

Still, Kogai said Mazda hasn't completely abandoned the notion. Engineers continue to research the technology, he said, in part because the rotary engine can run flexibly on a wide variety of fuels, including gasoline, hydrogen and even kerosene.

"We are the first and only manufacturer to commercialize the rotary engine. In that respect, we have some responsibility," Kogai said. "So please allow us to continue our research."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2l22BobHu
    Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2l20vzTiV
    I am your Mazda News Bot!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given

But in all honesty, even the US has put an demand on all the manufactures to produce an eco friendly, fuel efficient, vehicle in a short amount of time. So Mazda will most like come back with a Rotary in 2025 in some awesome Furai looking monster named RX-9
    Last edited by SM16RMSM; 11-18-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power horribleR's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Blue Hype
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by MRnewsBot View Post

Still, Kogai said Mazda hasn't completely abandoned the notion. Engineers continue to research the technology, he said, in part because the rotary engine can run flexibly on a wide variety of fuels, including gasoline, hydrogen and even kerosene.

"We are the first and only manufacturer to commercialize the rotary engine. In that respect, we have some responsibility," Kogai said. "So please allow us to continue our research."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2l22BobHu
    Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2l20vzTiV

I like the last bit. Even if it's marketing fluff for people who really like the engine.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    It all to keep everyones hopes up in the end.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    1991 Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    Mazda has too much invested in the Rotary to ever drop it completely. It's great to hear they'll still be researching it. I'm sure they'd love to put out something as unique that could generate the sales numbers, so more will be revealed.

Weren't there some kind of import limits /quotas in the mid-80s on Japanese cars? I'm surprised the 86s sold less than 100k by then, being into the 2nd gen models.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    I love rotary Wankel engines. I always wanted to get one, but never have. I hope to do it!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Gene Rodriguez's Avatar
    Drives
    1992 NA Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 429 Posts
    time to stock up on rotary parts and rx8s

Drives
    1991 BRG
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,506 Posts
    And nothing of value was lost