Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW from V8Roadsters

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    Nm It still won't be cheap when their mounting kit, custom exhaust, intake, cooling system and electronics are

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! charchri4's Avatar
    Drives
    96 LS1 swapped Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mini_fd View Post
    Nm It still won't be cheap when their mounting kit, custom exhaust, intake, cooling system and electronics are
    No swap is cheap but this one I would expect to have some significant advantages over more traditional V8 swaps.

There are far more V6 5th gen Camaros than there are V8s and I would expect the V6 to be cheaper due to the number of them and probable lower demand over the V8 for swaps.

The integrated exhaust manifolds not only eliminates $700 in headers but it will probably make the car much easier to pass emissions in those states plagued with that.

The package will be smaller and lighter than the V8 yet still be capable of producing 400 hp with a little work but even in its stock form of 325 it will be a kick in the pants in a 2300 lb car.

Even as a died in the wool V8 lover I am very exited about this swap!
    Jim Stainer
    96 Miata powered by an 02 Camaro SS
    95 Miata automatic, all options all stock but if an LFX auto came along cheap...
    http://jimsmiata.blogspot.com/

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charchri4 For This Useful Post:

SM16RMSM (12-16-2013),The Driver (12-16-2013),WASABI (03-11-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone mini_fd's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Black Miata
    Thanks Given
    im still curious to how much the kit will cost a fabrication work would be on the car vs a mild build and turbokit.

Drives
    96 LS1 swapped Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by mini_fd View Post
    im still curious to how much the kit will cost a fabrication work would be on the car vs a mild build and turbokit.
    Probably about twice the cost of a build and turbokit.
    Jim Stainer
    95 Miata automatic, all options all stock but if an LFX auto came along cheap...

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post
    Probably about twice the cost of a build and turbokit.
    and twice as head-turning when you pull up (breaks necks) and then open the hood (blows minds) at a local car meet.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

SM16RMSM (12-17-2013),WASABI (03-11-2014)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I've done that with the MSM. Open the hood to show someone something and they come crawling to my MSM and asking questions.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Drives
    96 LS1 swapped Miata
    Thanks Given
    Oh yeah no question the cost of the swap is worth it. Their is nothing like turning the key and having all your senses light up and actually look foward to making the commute to work. That is TO work!

The thing about figuring cost of a swap is so much of it depends on your ability and resources. You read build threads and you see lots of guys are not able to weld and have the welding done. That adds cost both in buying parts that could have been made and in paying a welder. On the other hand you see lots of guys that have the fabrication skills and equipment to make parts rather than buy them and that reduces the cost considerably. With the V6 swap there should not be much welding but you get the point. You are paying 1200 bucks for a subframe you could make for 50 if you have the tools and know how.

The big stuff is easy to figure out. It's the little stuff what kills the budget that nobody figures in ahead of the build. The $15 harmonic balancer bolt you didn’t know you needed or the grade 8 diff bolts you didn’t put in the budget. Radiator hoses you budgeted $40 for that cost $65 and the million trips to the hardware and auto parts store for something under 30 bucks.

I think my experience was typical and a lot of guys will tell you the same thing I am about to say. I worked for many hours researching parts prices going over every thing that I would need to buy and do to the car and created a detailed estimate and plan to do the build. My estimate before I started was $7300 just the conversion cost not including the engine and trans. What I actually spent was just under $10,000 on direct conversion costs. Total into the car with engine and trans costs was closer to 16K.

If you read through the threads here you will see lots of guys say whatever you figure it will cost or how long it will take double them both. As I look at some of the threads from last winter when guys told me that and it is easy to see I didn't believe a word they said!

Now just to be clear here I am not trying to scare you or dissuade you from doing the build at all. You want to do it and you will not be content until you do. I just want you to be aware of what it takes now rather than be discouraged when you have it all apart. You might ask if I thought my build was worth it now that it is done and I would probably say no. For the same money I could have made my donor car amazing with far less effort. But in the same breath I would tell you that I would absolutely do it all over again with no hesitation at all! I enjoyed every minute of the process and even now visiting with guys like you has made it all worthwhile
    Last edited by charchri4; 12-17-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Jim Stainer

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charchri4 For This Useful Post:

etikoner (02-16-2014),Malibu Q (02-21-2014)

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Any updates?

Drives
    V8 Miatas
    Thanks Given
    We are finishing up the install on the RX8 and then the Mazdaspeed will be completed, shooting for late Feb to early March. All of the mounting related items for the drive train are finished and the fixtures are built. The exhaust, cooling, and intake are the next task to tackle.

Mounting kits should be less than our LSx and the drive line items will be the same.
    Shandelle
    V8 Roadsters
    Life begins at 100mph...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shandelle For This Useful Post:

PAT CONLON (01-07-2014)

Drives
    2011 MX-5
    Thanks Given
    This seems like a cheaper and possibly more balanced approach. Any more updates?

Also, would the LFX and auto trans fit this setup?

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Auto, please, get manual and save yourself the headache. There would be too much to look into. There most likely no problem with fitment but the rigging of shifter cables and having the shifter computer wired in would drive someone nuts honestly. GM have a separate Transmission Control Module that would need to be wired in. Then you have the shifter itself. Custom linkage would need to be built to fit the factory shifter (gear selector) if it even still uses lineage and not computer button controlled. I wouldn't even bother with it.

Besides, any new updates Shandelle?
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Drives
    V8 Miatas
    Thanks Given
    Not much to update at the moment. We had a few projects, with a limited time frame, like the Exocet that jump in line. The last of those was buttoned up today, and Steve said the the V6 car was heading to the lift next week.

We are planning on building a twin turbo NC with an auto(8 speed paddle shift)... Later in the year of course.
    Shandelle
    V8 Roadsters
    Life begins at 100mph...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shandelle For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (02-21-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    TWIN Turbo???

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Paddle shifted 8 speed auto? Now that's some fancy trans swapping.

Drives
    a Miata
    Thanks Given
    Bump for updates. How will the left side exhaust be routed? Over or under the steering column? (We have a pool going)

Details please....picts would be cool.. Thanks Shandelle

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT CONLON For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (03-13-2014)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast