Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotory engine in miata

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power Thumper13's Avatar
    Drives
    Like a Maniac
    Thanks Given
    Heck with all Mazda,get a 4.6 from a wrecked Ford Mustang,add turbos and stand back. The motor is a 300 hp motor before adding turbos. Not big $$$$$$ or we can steal Yatas Vette and rape it for a motor and trans

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
    I

They seem to have lost their popularity in the last few years.
    they are gas eaters and only make decent power at high revs.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    They're really smooth and make nice power for such a small engine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to etikoner For This Useful Post:

The Driver (01-12-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jux's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 White A-pkg, '08.5 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given
    Small motor? Yes.
    Lightweight? Not really. They're rather dense.
    '90 "LE" with red bits - 7/6 Flex, FM Front Bar, 14x7 +19 RPF1, PWR, SPAL, Maxim Works, Thermal R&D, HDHCSDM2, Zoom, Anvil II, 330mm mahogany Deep Corn, AC/PS delete, LE interior, attitude
    '08.5 CWP MS3 GT - AST 4100, TriPoint Rear Sway and Links, JBR STS w/ bushings and lockout plate, Moddiction Anvil II

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Chops's Avatar
    Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    Thanks Given
    If I had the money, I'd throw a 12A in my car in a heartbeat!

I built two different 12A's back in the day for my '83 RX7 GSL and loved them both. I rebuilt both from the ground up and they made considerably more power than stock. One I opened the hell out of the ports, then bridge ported the damn thing on top of that! The other motor I did a FULL peripheral port on it. With highly modified oiling, carbon apex seals, heavy duty side springs/seals and a few others little things, Holley 750 DP, Racing Beat header and 3" exhaust all the way back, these suckers were loud and would scream.

The bridge port made peak power around 7.5k and I'd shift around 9k. The peripheral peaked around 9k and I'd shift around 10.5k. It also ran a little hotter, but that was typical of peripheral's due to the port going right through the water jacket. They were around the 260-320hp range, NA of course. Both had a very fun, nasty idle, and I used to keep snapping the damn WP/alternator belt at high rpm's (above 8k). I became a pro at looping the new belt through the fan shroud and onto the motor in less than 30 seconds, even at night in no light. I kept a stockpile of them in the hatch! LOL

Back to my point though, I would definitely put a 12A in my Miata.
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
    2015 Fiat 500 Pop
    1991 "Tardis Blue" BRG #581 <- SOLD

Idling - Listen to it purr... rantman's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 4.3L GM V6; 2003 SE; 2008 PHT
    Thanks Given
    There was one at "Miatas After Market" in Braselton, Georgia, for sale last year. Beautiful job, except oil cooler lay rather low to the ground. It was for sale $4.5 K

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Unk577 View Post
    How about MZR in 2.0 or 2.5 and ad FI? It will have a lot better power band and be more reliable. Look at the dyno graph in the link Phat posted. It's embarrassing....nothing nothing nothing 400 500 nothing... Can it be fast? Yes but driveability will be shit.
    Come on man. You can't swap an MZR engine unto an NA/NB. It would be cheaper to go LSX!

Rotor NA's are AWESOME!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift JamieH's Avatar
    Drives
    Black & Tan '97 - Betty
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,162 Posts
    Rotaries are neat... but absolutely mad. You know how most people see a car as an appliance? Then there's car people? People that treat and view cars like family members. Well, rotary guys are that next level of crazy. Think about it. Rotarheads accept oil as a consumable like gasoline. Don't get me wrong, rotaries make a sweet noise like nothing else, rev quicker and higher than most engines, but they make as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Tiny engines, yet incredibly thirsty that burn very brightly at both ends.

My hat is off to anyone that chooses to get wrapped up in the land without valves.

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I want a rotary powered car in my life.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    I am not a big fan of rotaries myself, but the quickest Miatas built for drag racing are rotary powered. Rotary motors won a few championships in several classes when NHRA had the import series. They have done well in other motorsport too. There are plenty of reasons to hate them, but the fact remains that they work very well at making cars go fast.

They seem to have lost their popularity in the last few years.
    However, you're forgetting that only until recently has the NHRA figured out how to even the playing field between Superchargers and Turbos for competition. Not to mention they STILL haven't figured out how to appropriately class a rotary motor. Those gaps in rules allow for a little bit of an unfair advantage in certain scenarios.

Much of the reason why the 787 was banned from Le Mans.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    I still want a rotary car in my life.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! miata2fast's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 95
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wolf View Post
    However, you're forgetting that only until recently has the NHRA figured out how to even the playing field between Superchargers and Turbos for competition. Not to mention they STILL haven't figured out how to appropriately class a rotary motor. Those gaps in rules allow for a little bit of an unfair advantage in certain scenarios.

Much of the reason why the 787 was banned from Le Mans.
    I will buy that to a degree. You can't argue with the fact that rotary motors made cars go fast.

For me, it is a moot point. I would never ever have one. I could not live with the unpleasant noise as well as other odd characteristics of those motors.
    95 in pieces, but good pieces.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    I will buy that to a degree. You can't argue with the fact that rotary motors made cars go fast.

For me, it is a moot point. I would never ever have one. I could not live with the unpleasant noise as well as other odd characteristics of those motors.
    Well its only fast because it was the equivalent of labeling a v8 as a v6. Under that pretense when you have v6 expectations of course it'll be fast.

However rotaries are known for being rudely inefficient.

I and a few rotary enthusiasts consider a 13b as a 3.9L v6 essentially. Has what is arguably six combustion chambers each at ~650cc.

What its actual displacement is, is amd always will be disputed among fans.

Mazda only utilized 1.3 for insurance purposes and racing bodies recognize it as a 2.6 for some bizarre reason.

Just to show you why they perform so well in competition.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12