Thread: FM Reinforcement Rails Review

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power BoBo's Avatar
    Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given

FM Reinforcement Rails Review

I was going to install it during the summer break from school; however, I couldn't wait, so I finally had it installed yesterday by PR Motorsports. To make a long story, I'm very happy with the product. You're not gonna notice anything driving in a straight line of course, but in the cornering department, the chassis flex is obviously reduced. I noticed that the chassis was stiffer and much quieter even with the hardtop. I also noticed that there were less vibrations inside the car when I go over speed bumps or potholes. This product is definitely a must for the track, autox runs, and mountain runs. However, I would still install it regardless of whether I used the car for the track or commuting because I like how the chassis is more responsive in turns, and plus these old wet noodle cars could use it.

This is picture with the FM Rails installed, I don't know why the installer painted the Rails when It's stainless steel. I told one of the reps at the shop to only coat the bolts and where the bolt goes. Regardless the install was definitely good.
    08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Tuned/Track Prepared
    04 Z4 2.5 M Sport Package
    01 SLK 230 Kompressor AMG Sport Package

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BoBo For This Useful Post:

Agent☣Orange (04-12-2014),MrPoy (04-11-2014),tsingson (04-15-2014),WASABI (04-11-2014)

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I actually like it black, looks good!! thanks for the review!

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    ^ Anytime and thanks. My next target is the Hard Dog hardcore M1 w/dual diagonal.The 6 point roll bar would further stiffen up my car compared to my basic Hard Dog hoop bar, but it's not happening anytime soon, I still have to save up LoL.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch new2mx5's Avatar
    Drives
    Silverstone
    Thanks Given
    The flyin miata frame rails are by far one of the best mods I made to my ride, I was very surprised by the improvement and stiffening they provided. Here's a quick peek.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to new2mx5 For This Useful Post:

BoBo (04-17-2014),tsingson (04-15-2014),WASABI (04-13-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Bummer's Avatar
    Drives
    '93 Red, VVT, Haltech, Xida 6ULx9
    Thanks Given
    When I put them on a few years ago, I noticed it didn't really eliminate the rattles, but relocated them. Also, a car that had been neutral went to understeer. It took a while to get the setup to where I was happy with it, again. They did change the car substantially. Please keep in mind, if you do autocross, these braces are not allowed in any of the "Street" classes, from Stock to Street Mod. Straight to "Prepared" category for you.
    Last edited by Bummer; 04-12-2014 at 06:52 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bummer For This Useful Post:

WASABI (04-13-2014)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    If you want to eliminate rattles, install doorbars. Seriously.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

TimTim (04-13-2014),tsingson (04-15-2014)

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! TimTim's Avatar
    Drives
    2007 Yaris Eco-Slush
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
    When I put them on a few years ago, I noticed it didn't really eliminate the rattles, but relocated them. Also, a car that had been neutral went to understeer. It took a while to get the setup to where I was happy with it, again. They did change the car substantially. Please keep in mind, if you do autocross, these braces are not allowed in any of the "Street" classes, from Stock to Street Mod. Straight to "Prepared" category for you.
    I second these thoughts. I installed mine on a 97 and they did begin to stiffent the car but it made weaknesses more apparent in other areas. The butterfly brace is a worthwhile addition but if the funds are limited, I would consider the door bars fu mentioned or contributing the money towards fender/ shock tower brace. The 97 showed substantial improvement in both NVH / highway shimmies/ and handling with the FM shock tower brace, it's a very rigid brace without flex points.

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch m00se's Avatar
    Drives
    BRG '94 NA8T, mariner blue '91 stored
    Thanks Given
    Can anyone compare frame rails to stitch welding the door area?

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by new2mx5 View Post
    The flyin miata frame rails are by far one of the best mods I made to my ride, I was very surprised by the improvement and stiffening they provided. Here's a quick peek.

I definitely agree with that, plus it's a good investment on keeping your factory rails from being crushed.

Drives
    & Rides
    Thanks Given
    I was doubtful whether or not Hector the mechanic from PR Motorsports rust proof the holes where the floor was drilled, and guess what? he didn't, He wasted all of the rubber coating spray that I gave him on my rust proof stainless steel rails. I just had this feeling after he painted my rails, so I checked under the carpeting. "If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself". Good thing I had blue silicone on hand for rust proofing, it took me a while to remove the rails but at least it's now protected from rust.