Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts

Review: Nielex Metal Tombstone Radio Surround for Miata MX5 Roadster

Review: Nielex Metal Tombstone

Manufacture: Nielex

Country of Manufacture: Japan

Production: Out of production since 1997

Item: Brushed Metal Tombstone overlay

UPDATED (05/23/2016) Karuizawa Meeting

This was a Limited Run produced by Nielex - Japan, produced in the early 1990's. I recently spoke with Max at REV9 who was at Karuizawa Roadster Meeting Japan and had a chance to catch up with Niimi-san owner of Nielex Metal Parts. All of these are hand made items, and craftsmanship is really amazing on this item, Niimi-san stated there was only 250 Tombstones made for NA6 Roadster, and only 80 of the matching lower section shifter surround area. He also made this for the M2 Tombstone, however since that is such a niche market he only produced (10) tombstones for the M2 Roadster. So if you have one that is a pretty rare item to have!! Not sure the exact time frame they made these but they stopped appearing in the Japanese Road&Ster magazine ads back in 1996-97. I have owned this setup since 2003. This is basically an interior dress up item, but it ads a whole other level of cool to the Miata's interior.

You will have to line it up with your stock plastic tombstone and drill some small holes to mount this piece.

once you have drilled the holes just put the Nielex part on top of the OEM tombstone and insert the fasteners, I used a nut on the underside to hold the piece in place.

There was also a lower section offered later on by Nielex that includes toggle switches for the windows. And then also a transmission tunnel piece that extends to the rear area covering the trunk release and gas release lever.

Also shown is the Nielex Hazard / Pop up Headlights toggle switches., it has a goldish tint color to it, its a nice contrast to the brushed metal parts.

Below is a photo of when I had installed it, I also added a custom shaped Nakamae transmission tunnel cover to finish the look I was going for.

If anyone else has installed photos please post them up!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phatmiata For This Useful Post:

vote4pedro (03-21-2022),WASABI (06-08-2014)