Thread: Mystery OIL leak...HELP!

1,000 rpm - releasing the clutch MX595's Avatar
    Drives
    95 Miata
    Thanks Given

Mystery OIL leak...HELP!

I have been searching for this oil leak for a month now, changed what I thought may have been the issue, such as the valve gasket cover and other seals...it has progressed and now leaves a small puddle on the floor everyday (right where the fire wall/rear of the engine is)

I also have a spatter of oil located on the underside of the hood in the same area (Pics will come tmrw, it is night time)

My best diagnosis is that the rear seal is busted and splattering oil out.

Given that the oil is only seen all over the rear of the engine and even some on the plug wire area, I determined its coming from that area.

Any one else ever encounter such a problem or have any advice on this matter?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power JLBMX5's Avatar
    Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Jack car up look under it and center of transmission bell housing is a hole. If you see that oil is coming out of it that is where a leaking rear main seal is going to show its leak. I suggest a drive through car wash that sprays the underbody first to help get some of old oil off bottom of car. Also top of motor rear of valve cover will be your cam angle sensor with a light look at bottom of it and see if you have any fresh oil. That seal has been known to leak and put oil all over rear firewall.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JLBMX5 For This Useful Post:

MX595 (08-22-2014)

Drives
    95 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Thank you very much, that will be my first plan of action, I hope it's nothing crazy, the oil pan looks like a pile of s**t too
    Last edited by Agent☣Orange; 08-22-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Yea thats from oil spraying all over underbody of car from your leak. Also while your under car look at front crank pulley at bottom behind it for an oil leak. Front seal leaks as well. Usuially when you replace those you knock out your toming belt and waterpump change as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JLBMX5 For This Useful Post:

MX595 (08-22-2014)

Drives
    95 Miata
    Thanks Given
    I did the TB/WP a month ago, as well as the master and slave cylinders, I replaced every seal I could get to at the time as well, once I get it on the lift I'll def check out everything you suggested and report back, aslo if it helps at all, the car has 114k miles

If it is the front seal, i'm gonna kick my friend in the balls, cause that means he never replaced it or botched it

Drives
    Red '93 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Even at 114,000 miles seals go bad after time and the motor is still a 1995 motor so almost 20 years old if they have never been replaced they can be bad. I purchased a 94 motor with 70,000 miles and replaced both front and rear seals but that was mainly because motor was out of car and easier to do while its out. On your friend that did timing for you. The front seal is not part of that kit. Its and additional item that when people see leaking they replace it and at that time they plan their timing and water pump with it. If he had all that off the front of motor he might not of seen a leak so your front might be fine.

Drives
    95 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Should have better explained that lol, I purchased all the seals that would be accessible when doing the water pump and timing belt, I am 99% sure the leak is from the rear, When I did the slave cylinder, it was quite wet and drippy in that area, I wish i had access to a lift now so I could just friggen check it

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    i recently switched my oil to synthetic and my engine starting leaking. I have to raise the car to figure out where the leak is coming from. I suspect is from the oil ring inside dipstick tube

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    A few leak areas from the rear, as you describe it: CAS o ring, VC gasket (near the humps). It is possible the CAS was pinched or rolled. Same for the VC gasket. A RMS wouldn't splatter up all that far because it is encased by the bell housing.

Is your PVC valve cracked or securely seated? Check to see if the hose that attaches it isn't cracked/split either.

Best way to find the leak is to clean the motor, drive it, look for the fresh oil.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

MX595 (08-23-2014)

Drives
    95 Miata
    Thanks Given
    That's the plan, which will commence in 1 hour, any suggestions for cleaning? the usually brake cleaner or ?

Drives
    95 Miata
    Thanks Given
    Finally located the oil leak, and of course was the last place i would have checked...being tld the valve gasket was replaced, I didnt mind it at first, but after checking all other possibilities, I gave it a look, and low and behold...it was improperly installed, leading to a leak, I am replacing it tmrw, and will let you know the outcome

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    I am removing the intake manifold tomorrow to inspect the oil filter and the oil filter adaptor plate. I suspect the oil leak is coming from there in my NB.