Thread: How Fast Can She Go?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! miata2fast's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 95
    Thanks Given

How Fast Can She Go?

I purchased my Miata new in 1995, and as soon as I got it home I was looking for ways to make it faster. First mods were the run of the mill exhaust and intake mods. I was a poor college student at the time, so I knew I could not afford a turbo. Because I was hanging with the wrong crowd back then (Mustang owners) I was influenced to install a dry nitrous kit. Had a great time with the car until I blew the motor up. Got the car fixed, and soon after that the car was involved in a pretty serious wreck. I had full coverage on the car, and the insurance company decided to fix it. I knew the car would never be the same, so I decided I was going to take my mods to another level.

First thing I did was do some mild weight reduction. I pulled the A/C out of the car, pulled as many unnecessary brackets and what not I could find, pulled the spare and jack, and removed some of the easy to reach sound deadening. The car was already a base model car, so it already had manual steering and roll up windows. Car still appeared to be bone stock to the untrained eye.

I found a set of tiny 20X8x14 inch slicks that I mounted on a set of junk yard wheels. I also reinstalled the nitrous thinking this time things would be different. I had a great time with the car. I did the local street race scene back then and beat down many unsuspecting Mustang thugs. Back then tuning was some kind of archaic, but I did the best I could. I probably made a few hundred nitrous passes with the car.

One night I went in the 8.20's with a 1.71 60' time in the 1/8th at Lakeland Drag Strip. That normally would be fast enough to go in the 12's in the 1/4 mile. Just about that time, there was a Nationally recognized import drag racing event coming to Bradenton, and I decided I wanted to compete in one of the lower level classes they offered. I took the car to Bradenton to do some testing and to prepare for the upcoming event, and noticed the car was not quite as fast with the tune I had at Lakeland. I decided to push it a little, and raised the nitrous shot a little higher, and put down a best of 13.16 @ 99 MPH. Then the motor let go again. I should have noticed that something was wrong when the car was a tad off at the beginning of the night. It was some kind of depressing.

I will add more to the story in an upcoming post.
    Last edited by miata2fast; 11-18-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    95 in pieces, but good pieces.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to miata2fast For This Useful Post:

atank (11-18-2013),Hyper (11-18-2013),Phatmiata (11-20-2013),Slampen (03-08-2014),The Driver (11-18-2013)