Thread: The Best Engine Swap... /end

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given

The Best Engine Swap... /end

I know I already posted this link in another thread, but I figured it deserved it's own thread considering how important the implications are.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112309

The K-series engines keep going down in price, and there's no denying they're superior in many ways. Before anyone brings up LSx swap, read the thread. They guy already has the block mated to stock miata 6 speed torsen. The steering rack is going to be moved forward 4". Guy plans on offering a kit which is only going to consist of custom tubular subframe, trans adapter hardware (there's pics already), exhausts, harness for k-pro. It is a lot less work than swapping a v8.

If they hit their target of a $3k kit. I'd say there's no longer a point to building BPs. It's less work than an LSx, while being even lighter than the BP. The K-series can make legitimate NA power, more than a BP with nearly unlimited budget. It handles boost well too, as well as fully built BPs.

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power treeafodo's Avatar
    Drives
    a rustbucket.
    Thanks Given
    This is pretty awesome. I'm surprised it's taken so long for a swap like this to come up. I'll be watching that swap for sure.
    Austin.
    Lexy (Little Hobo) - Transforming from Wreck to Race Car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueiii View Post
    Your priorities seem a bit messed up to me, although that's because I try to get my lap times to decrease.

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by treeafodo View Post
    This is pretty awesome. I'm surprised it's taken so long for a swap like this to come up. I'll be watching that swap for sure.
    probably because of the honda stigma, and the distinctive bees in can noise

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Can someone say WINNING?
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not a Honda guy. From what model is the K-series?

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not a Honda guy. From what model is the K-series?
    I'm pretty sure any any could be used, but the one in the thread is from a 2.4 from a tsx. I think there was a shop that got it up to 290whp NA. Although 265whp NA is more the norm.

*the k24 is actually also found in many other Honda models. Namely, cr-v, accord, and current civic si. More good news, they're plentiful, and aftermarket will keep growing.
    Last edited by bigx5murf; 03-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts

Re: The Best Engine Swap... /end

Very interesting... I can imagine various racers complaining they shouldn't be classed with ls1 cars. Lol

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    YUMMY!
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! jux's Avatar
    Drives
    '90 White A-pkg, '08.5 CWP MS3
    Thanks Given

Re: The Best Engine Swap... /end

This could be a very enticing option to have. Yowza!
    '90 "LE" with red bits - 7/6 Flex, FM Front Bar, 14x7 +19 RPF1, PWR, SPAL, Maxim Works, Thermal R&D, HDHCSDM2, Zoom, Anvil II, 330mm mahogany Deep Corn, AC/PS delete, LE interior, attitude
    '08.5 CWP MS3 GT - AST 4100, TriPoint Rear Sway and Links, JBR STS w/ bushings and lockout plate, Moddiction Anvil II

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Very interesting... I can imagine various racers complaining they shouldn't be classed with ls1 cars. Lol
    stock to stock probably not, rotrex a ka24 to 400+whp, while being 200 lbs lighter than an lsx, and having that 8k redline. I think they'll still be competitive.

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! charchri4's Avatar
    Drives
    96 LS1 swapped Miata
    Thanks Given
    I know this is old but I just had to laugh. Not at the swap I think it's going to be great when he gets the kit worked out. I am also a big fan of the new V8R V6 parts coming out.

No what's funny here is the title of the thread. The Best Engine Swap... /end. LOL You may as well say The Best Suspension Swap... /end or the The Best Brake Swap... /end, The Best Seat Swap... /end. I couild go on and on obviously.

Like all things automotive each swap has pros and cons and is unique to the values, talent and budget of the artist that builds it. To make a blanket statment like this and say there is a best is, well laughable!
    Jim Stainer
    96 Miata powered by an 02 Camaro SS
    95 Miata automatic, all options all stock but if an LFX auto came along cheap...
    http://jimsmiata.blogspot.com/