Thread: Silver/brushed radio options... Upgrading from Bose... is it worth it?

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift Demon I Am's Avatar
    Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 851 Posts

Silver/brushed radio options... Upgrading from Bose... is it worth it?

I think towards the spring, I'll be looking to replace my factory head unit with something better.
    If I do a replacement, I'd like it to look as close to stock as possible, but have some modern features (Custom color matching LED; Bluetooth is a must; Sirius, meh; iPod connection, maybe). No need for CD/tape players. I'd probably be looking to replace the factory speakers, as mine sound wretched over a volume level of 11.

To keep it stockish looking, I'd love to find a unit with a silver/brushed fascia. I know like 99% of them are black, but I think that would just look odd in the car. Double Din would probably look nicest, otherwise I'd have a stupid cubby pocket, blanking plate to deal with. As a non-turboed daily driver, I don't see a need for gauges in a blanking plate, even though they look nice.

The only 2 that I have found which might fit the bill (on Crutchfield's site) are Marine unit Kenwoods
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113D562....html?tp=61742
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113D365....html?tp=61742

Are there any good options that I could be missing out on?

I haven't seen a black radio installed with the factory brushed surround, so maybe it's not as bad as I'm envisioning it.

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    As a reference, here's the interior:

IMG_20151013_072611397_HDR by Tony Driver, on Flickr

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Tony, the Bose system is junk.

Pick the HU with the best features and price and bypass the Bose amps completely with a compact 2 channel amp. If face color is important, paint it or wrap it.

I would also suggest component speakers because the Bose system uses some funky impedance in theirs. I used 8" 3-way Alpines and a 200w amp in the 10ae and they rocked. The sound was way clearer than the Bose system, louder, and the bass response was great. I ran new speaker wires, which is optional. You could go that route to power the door speakers and run the tweeters off the HU, if you don't use a matched set and crossovers.

I might have documented the stereo installation I did for that car here.

One of the benefits of the aftermarket HU was freeing up room on the center stack. I put an OE cubby where the tape desk used to be. I used a mech-less HU with display color options, Bluetooth streaming, hands free calling, and iPod control. It worked fantastic.

Boom!

Mech-less Kenwood

http://www.amazon.com/kenwood-KMRM31.../dp/B019FEW7EI

Same one with a better description:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...MR-M315BT.html

I run this Kenwood amp in my NA. I bridged it and it rocks. It is very small. I mounted mine on the rear bulkhead behind the passenger seat. I ran the RCA cords up the trans tunnel carpet. I did something similar with the 10ae. I left the Bose amps in the car because they are deep in the centerstack near the heater core. I just ran new wire from the amp to the front, and doors in the factory channels. Took a little time but I was really pleased with the outcome and it wad all hidden...looked stock.

This amp is so small, it MIGHT ft under the seat.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 02-18-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: stream of throught

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (02-18-2016)

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    50w RMS is more than enough to power some good mid ranges. I am going to be replacing my doors also. Looking at 6.5" mids.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    50 RMS is a myth. You start to overdrive the system. 100w/per is a good place to start.
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 02-18-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: wrong info

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Coincidently I was looking to upgrade the radio features without modding the radio cause I like the factory look. All I need is bluetooth connectivity to listen to my trance playlists on Mixcloud.com

I found out I.L. Motorsports sells a Bluetooth kit on their website that plugs into the factory connector in 1998-2008 OEM radio. It cost 99 euros, see below

http://www.ilmotorsport.com/shop/art...88421a285a0392

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyper For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (02-19-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts
    I have a Pioneer unit installed by the previous owner. It is a great HU, however not a fan of the looks. I personally find the silver surround a bit out of place with tan, I will be replacing mine with a black one soon-ish. I also plan to do a Nexus tablet install with a barebones amp, just for the DIY. Another option I was looking (for more retro-feel) is using a retro-looking radio unit and fabricating a blanking plate. Something like the one Adam uses on Sharka. Another beautiful retro/clean looking unit comes from continental:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

tsingson (02-19-2016)

Drives
    No-ata
    Thanks Given
    Blanking plates look great in black cars. they look out of place in a tan/bright silver interior. That pic is exactly how I want my install, clean, and flush, but still fitting the the modern interior

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon I Am For This Useful Post:

HarryB (02-22-2016)

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift HarryB's Avatar
    Drives
    '04 Strato Blue NB2
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Well..I always found the silver accents more matching in a black interior, IMO it helps breaking the dullness of black. I loved that mine were silver at first (on a '04 tan interior like yours), but when I took a look at a buddy's '02 interior (tan with black radio bezel/trim), I found it more matching than silver; thus I will be swapping mine for a black one soon. Would love to do a black anodized or proper woodgrain one at some point tho. Just a pair of random thoughts that might be of some help (or not).

Anyway, back to topic!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HarryB For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (02-22-2016)

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Tony, keep in mind there are a lot of different silver colors. An aftermarket silver may not match your silver in the car.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kung fu jesus For This Useful Post:

Demon I Am (02-22-2016)