Thread: foggy windows

Idling - Listen to it purr... Barrym's Avatar
    Thanks Given

foggy windows

I dont know why but my windows are always getting steamed up. Anybody else have this problem?
    If so why does this happen? and
    What do you do about it?
    Barrym

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! The Driver's Avatar
    Drives
    1996 Montego Blue Leather Package + 5 Speed = Torsen II
    Thanks Given
    Quit making out with your GF in the car. That should reduce the problem by 50%...
    96 Montego, replacing a 95M... I miss: My running peeps in Tampa, running barefoot @ Clearwater Beach and First Choice BBQ, in Brandon. In So Cal I miss: The Malibu Canyons, CA 33 and In & Out Burgers ! I'm from Tampa, if I was from Tampa Bay, I'd be a fish!

3,000 rpm - starting to feel the power RyanxStorey's Avatar
    Drives
    1993 Electronic Pearl Blue
    Thanks Given
    Is it when the air is on?
    1993 Electronic Pearl Blue - 1.6, T25 SR20 turbo on 14psi with custom stainless steel tubular manifold, 3 inch stainless steel downpipe, RX7 460 injectors, DiYPNP MS2, MTX-L wideband.
    Storey's turbo NA

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! Meow's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mars Red Miata
    Thanks Given
    Rain-X makes an anti-fog spray that i use for the rear window in the hardtop, never fogs up anymore.

Drives
    '99 Brilliant Black Turbo
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 698 Posts
    When my NA didn't have a/c, I'd have this problem when it rained. I started cleaning the windows with Meguiar's cleaner wax and never had the problem again, I still do it on my NB. I also do that on the outside, acts like rain-x on the glass, I rarely have to use my wipers.

If it's not raining and your windows are doing this, make sure your climate control is set to allow fresh air in rather than recirc. If all that's not the case, then you likely have some moisture stuck in the interior and I'm assuming it does this when you heat the interior. Check the common places for water: passenger side footwell (if the a/c drain is backed up, if you have a/c), rear parcel shelf under the carpeting (in case the side drains or rain rail are clogged), under the seats (likely if the side drains are clogged) etc.
    I've got a lot less horsepower - luckily they are Japanese horses - usually in better shape and more motivated.

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Both my cars always do this so i usually have to have the air going full blast, but what works best is just cracking the window slightly.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! RetroModern's Avatar
    Drives
    2014 NC3 GT
    Thanks Given
    check the back trunk carpet too. if theyre wet, you probably have a leak around your tail lights.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift theothersawyer's Avatar
    Drives
    1994 Classic Red
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 734 Posts
    The last two nights I was going to leave work and my windows were so foggy and I sat there for a good 5-10 minutes and they wouldn't unfog, so I said screw it and drove home. <2 mile drive.

Drives
    Sharka
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Newspaper.

Seriously. Get a few sheets of black-print newspaper. The less color print on the sheets the better, but some color won't hurt badly. A few sheets of the classifieds is good. Then get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Spray your inner windows with the water. And then wipe with the newspaper.

The sticky inner film on your windows will magically go away. They'll seem clearer and more transparent than you've ever experienced. And they'll fog up MUCH less at night. They'll still fog a bit in a rain storm, but it's much easier to clear by cracking a window or turning your defroster blower on low.

The bums have it right. Newspaper is THE shit for cleaning windows. I am not making this up.

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter View Post
    Newspaper.

Seriously. Get a few sheets of black-print newspaper. The less color print on the sheets the better, but some color won't hurt badly. A few sheets of the classifieds is good. Then get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Spray your inner windows with the water. And then wipe with the newspaper.

The sticky inner film on your windows will magically go away. They'll seem clearer and more transparent than you've ever experienced. And they'll fog up MUCH less at night. They'll still fog a bit in a rain storm, but it's much easier to clear by cracking a window or turning your defroster blower on low.

The bums have it right. Newspaper is THE shit for cleaning windows. I am not making this up.
    True True, its also what I use.........A+

5,000 rpm - there be torque here! psulja's Avatar
    Drives
    1999 Twilight Blue/1991 Mariner Blue
    Thanks Given
    Wow, never even thought to try that. Guess that'll be something I do today, we'll see how well it turns out.
    Paul | IG- @psulja
    Build thread:
    1991 Mariner Blue - Built 1.8 swap, EFR, Fab9Tuning, Tii drivetrain