Thread: Coolant reroute kits

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    '92 black & Tan Miata
    Thanks Given
    You'd probably be better off getting a really good aftermarket radiator than doing the coolant reroute. I almost got an oil-filter relocation kit, thinking I needed it to make oil changes easier, but in the end it was just easier to reach down and deal with any mess. I'm convinced a lot of these projects are just a way to tinker with our cars while feeling like we're doing something positive. But I've read enough stories about many of these mods performing worse than stock or causing lots of trouble later that I've had to admit to myself that maybe the factory knows better and designed a lot of this stuff to work well from the start.

Yes, car companies may want to save production costs, but they also want to avoid recalls and lawsuits and preserve their reputation, so maybe they knew better than to add extra lines everywhere that would eventually leak, even if that means things are not always optimally located. In other words, sometimes durability trumps optimum performance, especially since most people don't want to be constantly repairing their cars.

Now I'm not telling you that a coolant reroute is a terrible idea, but only suggesting that there may be an easier solution, which you won't later regret.

Food for thought.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flooglemop For This Useful Post:

BRGNA8 (09-04-2017)