Thread: The 'I told you, you'd be back' build of Misfire, my NB2 w/ F1 inspiration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    5,000 rpm - there be torque here! Greasemonkey2000's Avatar
    Drives
    2001 NB2 aka Misfire
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,233 Posts
    12-02-19, Mileage- 121,410: A few months(3-4) back i was checking Misfire out and noticed that the clutch master reservoir was a bit low(probably by about 1/3 from full) so I picked up some brake fluid, topped off and have kept my eye on it since.

I think I would have to add some about every other month, maybe 30% of the reservoir so I knew i needed to get a master and slave cylinder. Well in the past week and a half it had gotten to the point to where it needed about half the reservoir filled every day.

You think at this point I would have ordered them right? Nope. Stupid me waited until it got to the point where it would empty itself in one drive. of course this was last Wednesday...the day before Thanksgiving.

I went to order it from Amazon, nope couldn't find either that would ship next day with Prime. I then checked with Rock Auto and couldn't get them till 12/02 or 12/03 with regular ground shipping.

So i checked online with a local parts store and they had both and with a online coupon ended up being only about $8 more than Rock Auto but they weren't Exedy like I wanted. Of course I waited too late to get them that day and I thought they were open part of the day on Thanksgiving as they were last year but nope.

To make a long story not quit as long, I didn't get around to doing it today. With new parts now in hand, i got into it.

Upon closer inspection of the exterior and interior firewall where the master cylinder mounts, it was clear it had been leaking.

You can see the bubbling paint around it, I totally don't recall seeing this before.

I don't recall seeing this before either when I replaced the rubber clutch pedal stops.

Once I removed the master cylinder it was clear that it was bad.

My oldest and youngest granddaughters was at my house and of course Onyx(oldest, 5yrs old) wanted to help as she always does ANYTIME I am working in the garage.

Not long before her youngest sister June(2 yrs old) wanted to join in on the fun.

Funny thing the middle girl, Opal(3 yrs old), was watching me upload the pictures on Flicker and asked if she could help next time as she wasn't here then. Back on the subject at hand.

With the old master cylinder off, I took the new one and filled it with brake fluid and "bled it" by placing my finger over the outlet hole and using a screwdriver to press the "piston" a few times till fluid started to push out and then installed and reused the old "gasket" for what it was worth.

Moving onto the slave cylinder I got Misfire up on a jack stand and removed the front passenger wheel to get easier access to it, behold the only note worthy rust on Misfire.

One reason I love living in Texas, typically cars are rust free.

Swapped in the new slave cylinder and put on some Shin Etsu grease on the end for good measure.

Upon inspecting the old slave cylinder, I removed the boot and filthy brake fluid poured out right into my lap...well that was dumb of me but honestly wasn't expecting it as both my previous slave cylinders were fine, it was just the master cylinder that was bad on both...iirc. Definitely glad I got both but for less than $30 for both and the biggest pain being bleeding the system, it only makes sense to do both.

Moved onto bleeding the system which actually took more fluid than expected, probably about 6 ounces or more, and half way thru I notice that the inlet fitting was leaking so I snugged it up and that took care of that, thankfully.

Took Misfire out for a drive and all was good! Unfortunately I have concluded that the throw out bearing is going out as there is a slight "howling" that goes away once the clutch is depressed but comes back once the clutch is released.

Hopefully it will hold over till I have the money for a clutch(need to decide it I will go puck again or stick with a full face...it has to be able to handle at least 250ft/lbs for future power...probably a SuperMiata clutch either way) as I am not pulling the transmission just for that and not replacing the clutch at 121k miles, of course rear main seal and other transmission gaskets will get replaced too.
    '01 NB2 aka MisF1re: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....218#post207218
    '97 M aka Warbird, gone but not forgotten: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....B&goto=newpost
    Instagram: @greasemonkey2000

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greasemonkey2000 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (12-03-2019),HarryB (12-03-2019),MiataQuest (12-08-2019),tsingson (12-03-2019)