View Poll Results: Of these ideas, which would you be most interested in purchasing?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tow Hooks (improved, flat, centered eye design)

7 21.88%
  • Fire Extinguisher Mounts (right in front of/under seat, light weight and strong)

13 40.63%
  • Shift Knobs (Interchangeable colors/heights/weights)

7 21.88%
  • Air Bag Glove Box (NA passenger air bag delete/secondary glove box)

11 34.38%
  • Other (Post below!)

2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Boss Performance's Dream Your Part Thread!

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone etikoner's Avatar
    Drives
    1995 Merlot Mica
    Thanks Given
    Also,

steering rack spacers to bring the tie rod geometry back to normal on lowered cars. (Correct bump steer)

Super short adjustable end-links.

Porsche style door pulls for the 95m style door card

Adapter plates for some ebay type mirros, or even raydot mirrors

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! tanakapz's Avatar
    Drives
    2004 VRM MSM
    Thanks Given
    super simple NB door cards, out of abs plastic or something. with porsche style door pulls. that would sell like hotcakes
    wut

Idling - Listen to it purr... Muzdaman's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    They're not really plug and play though.
    http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/sho...3&postcount=21

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben View Post
    What I'm seeing a lot of is people asking me to make parts that are "like" other companies parts but at lower prices. First of all, I'm not going to rip off any of these great Miata companies by making a knock-off of their products but also often times there is a reason why those parts are so expensive. I can understand making a part that is similar to another companies just to offer some selection but nothing I make will get confused for another company's part.

Depowered racks is something that I could do for cheap, but why not switch to a full manual rack? Heck, if you sent me your stock rack I could depower it and send it back to you this week haha.
    +1 on that philosphy. I am a huge fan of simple, effective products that work. I am not a fan of knock-offs. I think if you want a knock-off, DIY is the best way to go.

I recommended the FEM because the options out there are nice, but expensive and a bit overly complex. The Brey-Krause mount is REALLY nice, but the Sector 111 FEM for the Elise/Exige is a simple design that warrants investigation for Miatas. Products that are aesthetic typically won't have a long PLC and the return on the investment for Ben probably won't be worth it.

Drives
    1999 White
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,202 Times in 3,433 Posts
    That's a good idea and I was thinking about the mounting system and how it would have to be done. Also, the finish plate would definitely have to be modified, but maybe I could include a cutting/drilling template and just have users modify their current finish panels. Mounting is really getting me though. I'm looking inside my trunk and I don't see a whole lot near the finish panel area that is strong/rigid enough for a wing mount that would actually be functional. This is a part that could see hundreds of pounds of force being exerted at the end of a 3 foot moment arm. It's going to have to be rigid.
    If it's for occasional use, maybe consider a system that requires the removal of the rear bumper. You have two stanchions behind there with studs on them already. They are the same stanchions you mount the tow hooks on.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftdevil View Post
    I'd like to see the na airbag cubby thing and how about a nice clean vented headlight lid for the passenger side of an na?
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Afordable Canards
    Quote Originally Posted by etikoner View Post
    Also,

steering rack spacers to bring the tie rod geometry back to normal on lowered cars. (Correct bump steer)

Super short adjustable end-links.

Porsche style door pulls for the 95m style door card

Adapter plates for some ebay type mirros, or even raydot mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by tanakapz View Post
    super simple NB door cards, out of abs plastic or something. with porsche style door pulls. that would sell like hotcakes
    All great ideas guys! I'm drawing out some designs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzdaman View Post
    They're not really plug and play though.
    http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/sho...3&postcount=21
    I have never installed a Miata hub that didn't require doing that. Both my MOMO hubs have been the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    +1 on that philosphy. I am a huge fan of simple, effective products that work. I am not a fan of knock-offs. I think if you want a knock-off, DIY is the best way to go.

I recommended the FEM because the options out there are nice, but expensive and a bit overly complex. The Brey-Krause mount is REALLY nice, but the Sector 111 FEM for the Elise/Exige is a simple design that warrants investigation for Miatas. Products that are aesthetic typically won't have a long PLC and the return on the investment for Ben probably won't be worth it.
    Exactly, you understand the business aspect haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    If it's for occasional use, maybe consider a system that requires the removal of the rear bumper. You have two stanchions behind there with studs on them already. They are the same stanchions you mount the tow hooks on.
    That's a great idea and something I didn't even think of! The bumper support is a pretty good mount too and would make the mounts shorter.

I have some designs drawn up that are ready to go to a machine shop but all the shops around are too busy doing aerospace! If anyone has a lathe or knows a machine shop around who has some free time, let me know! The sooner I get these made, the sooner the originator of the design gets their free product and the sooner they can go on sale!

Thanks once again for all your great ideas guys (and gals?)! It has been very helpful in my creative/design process!
    Boss Performance Shift Knobs!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

adamvanxxx: I just realized the S in your logo is a header.
    hippari: my mind is so blown right now.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone concealer404's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Mazda MXSex GT Tarbo - faster than what you've got.
    Thanks Given
    Depowered racks is something that I could do for cheap, but why not switch to a full manual rack? Heck, if you sent me your stock rack I could depower it and send it back to you this week haha.
    Oh yeah?

PM incoming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
    Oh yeah?

PM incoming.
    PM replied!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drives
    2004 VRM MSM
    Thanks Given
    this is an awesome thread. its refreshing to see new vendors reaching out and actually asking what customers want.

*feed style skirts for the nb
    *usable cupholders, maybe something can mount off of the screw on the sides of the center console? made out of metal or something, idk.
    *shorty consoles for nb, with carpeting for the trunk/gas release. possibly in black?
    wut

Drives
    2004 VRM MSM
    Thanks Given
    straight pipe axleback for cheap? it would be pretty popular with cheapasses (possibly me) looking for some more noise, haha. plus it is the benefit of being cheap and easy to install/ship / put normal axleback on if you get a ticket
    wut

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    straight pipe axleback for cheap? it would be pretty popular with cheapasses (possibly me) looking for some more noise, haha. plus it is the benefit of being cheap and easy to install/ship / put normal axleback on if you get a ticket
    Have you ever driven a Miata with straight pipes? I swear it's even louder than my EF was with straight pipes haha. The car was so loud I couldn't even concentrate on track without ear plugs in.

Or do you mean just the axle back portion? Left side, right side, or center exit? I don't know if the stock exhaust mid pipe would be much quieter with the cat in there (mine was catless), but I'm willing to bet it would still be ear splitting loud.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drives
    2004 VRM MSM
    Thanks Given
    idk, just throwing thoughts out there. i swear i always hear ricers asking around for where to get straight pipes, so i figured it'd be good to make haha.

however, i think a well designed center exit exhaust would sell well. (obviously with muffler, resonator)
    wut

Idling - Listen to it purr...
    Thanks Given
    Planking delete plate for a/c unit plugs what not
    Or 3 gauge where the a/c goes since I deleted mine???

I have the radio blanking double din plate u should make the other it will sell like cookies
    Yes!!!!!

Drives
    2004 VRM MSM
    Thanks Given
    any status updates on this stuff? i think this thread is an awesome idea, haha. also flat underbody panels might be kind of cool.. would probably require a decent amount of rnd though. but underbody aero is somewhere that hasn't really been addressed on the miata yet.
    wut

Drives
    90 NA6
    Thanks Given
    any status updates on this stuff? i think this thread is an awesome idea, haha. also flat underbody panels might be kind of cool.. would probably require a decent amount of rnd though. but underbody aero is somewhere that hasn't really been addressed on the miata yet.
    I got way too many great ideas from this thread very quickly! The problem being now that I only have a lathe and I am having a really hard time finding someone to prototype any of these parts. I have models worked up for the FEM and a couple others I just need a machinist to do them in CAM/put them on the mill. If anyone on here is a machinist who is willing to help out or possibly knows one, let me know!

I'm very interested in a full flat underbody, I know lots of diffusers have been done, and I've seen some one off flat underbodys but nothing mass produced. It's all a matter of finding the time for all these projects and trying to run the business at the same time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast