Thread: Rotory engine in miata

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! miata2fast's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 95
    Thanks Given
    I am not a big fan of rotaries myself, but the quickest Miatas built for drag racing are rotary powered. Rotary motors won a few championships in several classes when NHRA had the import series. They have done well in other motorsport too. There are plenty of reasons to hate them, but the fact remains that they work very well at making cars go fast.

They seem to have lost their popularity in the last few years.
    95 in pieces, but good pieces.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
    I

they are gas eaters and only make decent power at high revs.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    I am not a big fan of rotaries myself, but the quickest Miatas built for drag racing are rotary powered. Rotary motors won a few championships in several classes when NHRA had the import series. They have done well in other motorsport too. There are plenty of reasons to hate them, but the fact remains that they work very well at making cars go fast.

However, you're forgetting that only until recently has the NHRA figured out how to even the playing field between Superchargers and Turbos for competition. Not to mention they STILL haven't figured out how to appropriately class a rotary motor. Those gaps in rules allow for a little bit of an unfair advantage in certain scenarios.

Much of the reason why the 787 was banned from Le Mans.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here! miata2fast's Avatar
    Drives
    Black 95
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wolf View Post
    However, you're forgetting that only until recently has the NHRA figured out how to even the playing field between Superchargers and Turbos for competition. Not to mention they STILL haven't figured out how to appropriately class a rotary motor. Those gaps in rules allow for a little bit of an unfair advantage in certain scenarios.

Much of the reason why the 787 was banned from Le Mans.
    I will buy that to a degree. You can't argue with the fact that rotary motors made cars go fast.

For me, it is a moot point. I would never ever have one. I could not live with the unpleasant noise as well as other odd characteristics of those motors.
    95 in pieces, but good pieces.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone DK Wolf's Avatar
    Drives
    MR.net Ball Breaker
    Thanks Given
    I will buy that to a degree. You can't argue with the fact that rotary motors made cars go fast.

For me, it is a moot point. I would never ever have one. I could not live with the unpleasant noise as well as other odd characteristics of those motors.
    Well its only fast because it was the equivalent of labeling a v8 as a v6. Under that pretense when you have v6 expectations of course it'll be fast.

However rotaries are known for being rudely inefficient.

I and a few rotary enthusiasts consider a 13b as a 3.9L v6 essentially. Has what is arguably six combustion chambers each at ~650cc.

What its actual displacement is, is amd always will be disputed among fans.

Mazda only utilized 1.3 for insurance purposes and racing bodies recognize it as a 2.6 for some bizarre reason.

Just to show you why they perform so well in competition.
    1994 Mazda Miata, 1992 Mazda Miata Sold, 1995 Mazda Rx7 (500hp) Sold, 1999 Subaru GC8 (310hp) Sold