Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Miata Adventure: Ruckkehr (Return)

The Technical Guy RuckkehrMiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given

My Miata Adventure: Ruckkehr (Return)

My adventure starts in California, October 2011. I spent some time with an old and close highschool friend of mine, who happens to be ArtcenterMiata.
    When we were in highschool, he made a comment about wanting a Miata. I actually made fun of him for it.
    Years later, experiencing his car and meeting the people from Project-G and KINOD, I found a new love.

Iv7xebu.jpg
    That's me leaning on Kimochi before all the work that has made his car what it is now.

So, my post-college-graduation trip complete I returned to florida and began hunting. I eventually found a beat up, abused, and quite stunning miata a coworker was selling.

Wo0FnMY.jpg

We got the battery charged up, topped off the oil and I backed her out from under the tree she sat under for over a year.
    She came with a pair of Tein Basics, which are beginning to show their age. She was also properly lowered by the previous owner, no cut springs here.

First things first, did a full liquids swap.

RlhER5i.jpg

The previous owner also assisted me in my first wrench job: replacing the heater core.

jD7z4gk.jpg

I also spent some time re-stitching the garbage steering wheel by hand so I could get some more life out of it (still using it to this day, steering wheels are expensive)

iKObYqM.jpg

And spent some time with the Orlando Roadsters (photo courtesy Kabel):

bJ5oYAZ.jpg

And showing off a tiny bit, people actually love this car. I had a guy from a local garage tell me his kids look for my car around town and get excited when they see it.

wAbWlVo.jpg

ArtCenter miata even sent me some presents

W5SqjfF.jpg
    7PuODkj.jpg
    ySlNBAX.jpg

This was by far one of the coolest birthday presents I ever got. I even wore my Project-G shirt to miatapalooza, where I got to show my car:

(Another photo courtesy Kabel)

(The spray paint spots are where the old eggshel paint is chipping, or the giant S on the side is where someone hit my parked car in a lot)

Unfortunately, due to being a recent college grad who already works full time to pay his student loans, I haven't been able to do much else other than maintain its state of decay.
    ArtcenterMiata has been pestering me to start a build thread, and since I have actually budgeted some money to do work on the car this year, I figured it was finally time to do just that.
    So I present to you, Ruckkehr (german for Return), which was named thusly because it represented a step towards one day returning to California.
    I have had her a year now, and I don't know what I would do without my Miata.
    I hope I won't disappoint, and keep enough work going on to update occasionally

In essence: Broke guy buys car that needs a lot of money put into it.

Coming soon: New poly differential bushings coming in the mail. The current ones are so toast its metal on metal.
    Last edited by RuckkehrMiata; 04-13-2013 at 11:15 PM.

6,000 rpm - mere mortals would shift I<3flippyheadlights's Avatar
    Drives
    1990 Spirited Green Miata!
    Thanks Given
    I saw this car at Miatapalooza and didn't take much time to look at it. (didn't take a lot of time looking at any of the cars because I was so tired from working the event) But I thought it looked neat! Awesome to hear such a cool back story about it and you. Looking forward to updates on this car.
    1990 Miata, she was red but now she is Spirit Green!

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....d-a-love-story <--- build thread!

Also check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/IHeartFlippyHeadlights !!! Its a facebook page dedicated to the awesomeness which is flippyheadlights! Not me, but the actual headlights! High time someone noticed how awesome these things are; check it out!

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Something just came in the mail...

721J2vr.jpg

Now I have to set up an appointment to get them installed, as this is one thing I would not attempt myself (lack of tools for the job, etc)

Drives
    1994 LB / 2014 MX5CE / 91 SD Italia
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Man it is really coming along well, I love finding miatas that need some TLC (like my current one), Ghostbuster!!!

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    This is one of the Miatas I have seen on the Orlando Roadster FB pages and in photos.

I LOVE THIS MIATA!!!!!

I showed it to my two kids and they just start singing the Ghostbusters song and ask me to show them this car hahaha!!

I was really hoping some folks would get some pics of it at Miatapalooza since I was stuck behind the booth all day. Keep up the good work! This is one of my favorite Original Themed Miatas!! Just too cool. Makes me want to print a giant GB sticker out and put one on my car hahaha. Love it!

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    This is one of the Miatas I have seen on the Orlando Roadster FB pages and in photos.

I LOVE THIS MIATA!!!!!

I showed it to my two kids and they just start singing the Ghostbusters song and ask me to show them this car hahaha!!

I was really hoping some folks would get some pics of it at Miatapalooza since I was stuck behind the booth all day. Keep up the good work! This is one of my favorite Original Themed Miatas!! Just too cool. Makes me want to print a giant GB sticker out and put one on my car hahaha. Love it!
    I actually got to meet you! I had to leave early and was looking for Kabel to give my tickets (never found him and the fiance was feeling ill) and spoke to you briefly.
    I love this car so much, a lot of the styling was done by previous owners. However, they didn't take care of it. I want to take care of it, and am definitely keeping the busters. Going to get the owner who made it to print a new one when I (one day, in the future) get her repainted.

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    How many of you have seen this in your inbox?

I can't really contain my excitement!

Updates coming at the end of the week ;)
    `89 NA build: 二回目 My (defunct) `92 NA build: Ruckkehr

Drives
    99 Silver NB
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Looking good! Wonder what you have coming from Ken...

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Ruckkehr is at the garage right now, getting the new diff bushings put in.
    I asked to peek under while it was on the lift, and found my axle boots to be completely demolished, and dry inside. Another thing to add to the list.
    I also discovered today that my oil loss rate has increased, so I have pretty much confirmed the leak is getting worse.
    Decided to start pricing out rebuild kits (gasket/seals etc etc) for a few months down the road.

Can't wait to feel her after those new bushings are in!
    Still waiting on that package from ken

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    The good news: I fit under a trailer
    The bad news: I do not fit horizontally

AG12SMs.jpg

Any advice for large dent removal in the rear 1/4 panel region, assuming I never do this again?

pic: failed MOTM 2013 April pic

I realize this is a huge doof on my end, just trying to fix it.
    Last edited by RuckkehrMiata; 04-28-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Yikes, that looks like a body shop repair more than dent removal. Either that or replacing the quarter panel and door all together.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have a door if you need one. A body shop with the know how of metal work can fix it easily. My body shop guy guy does awesome work.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    Yikes, that looks like a body shop repair more than dent removal. Either that or replacing the quarter panel and door all together.
    I am hoping the quarter panel can be popped out, there are no creases it is just a solid dent-in.

Quote Originally Posted by SM16RMSM View Post
    I have a door if you need one.
    I was hoping to avoid doing that, but the dent in the door is creased etc. I just didn't want to have to deal with losing one of my GB vinyls, oh well. If you get rid of it let me know, but it isn't high enough priority compared to some mechanical things I am saving for to drop on a door just yet. Might nab it from you in the near future if you still have it.

Drives
    Red `89 NA
    Thanks Given
    I just wanted to put up a quick picture, a sign of things coming:

390824_10201104651795341_912444552_n.jpg

I am practically twitching with excitement.

Supporting Member artcentermiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Silver Fastback NB / Blue NA
    Thanks Given
    I have to praise this guy for dedicating himself to fixing up the broken aspects of his car before dropping dollars on ricey fake wheels and racelands like most budget builds

Awesome work! once you get it up to spec mechanically, this will be a great platform to mod!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast