Thread: How to: Ebay FMIC on MSM

2,000 rpm - light wheelspin, no bog here!
    Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given

How to: Ebay FMIC on MSM

First take your bumper off, there's mad bolts, and plastic clips, make sure you get all of em off then yank off bumper, if you missed anything, your bumper will be fubar'd and won't ever go back on right again... no worries!

Measure where you gotta cut the stock piping. Measure once cut twice... wait... fuck it just cut the SOB. Use a vibrator saw or spinning cutting disc thingy

Should look like this once cut out

Clean off metal shavings (don't think metallic dust injection will cool down an intake charge the same way meth does). Bolt the ebay ic onto cut pipe ends, use reducing couplers and t-bolts clamps (i got mine from www.siliconeintakes.com). Ebay ic manufacturing tolerance was a little off, had to use a worm clamp on one side cuz t-bolt clamp wouldn't fit (a finger was almost lost trying to "make it fit"). Once its in place, measure out and make brackets to take load off the couplers/clamps. I used aluminum strips from the local Home Depot Racing.

Here are shots w/ 3 support brackets in place.

note: relocating the horn is a must, putting it where I put it will make it sounds either broken, or vintage. Probably should get an airhorn as supporting mod.

Here's how to make the brackets from raw aluminum strips. Follow closely, this gets complicated...

Pop the bumper back on, and try to remember where all the bolts and clips go. You will have a shitload leftover, hope that's not a big deal

Yea I know it sits a bit low, and doesn't fill out the mouth. That was on purpose, miatas already got heating issues when you turn up the boost and drive em hard. Feeding the radiator only hot air might not be a good idea. Putting in bigger shinier radiator and fans that add 3hp of thrust is recommended. This particular ic having centered inlet/outlets will require the small splash shield under it to be removed permanently.

Congratulations, you've now saved $350-$450 on a fmic kit from a real tuner company. You've risked a few digits, and possibly screwing up your bumper, but stuck it to the man.

This pic always makes me think....................... ♪♫ smile for me babe... lemme see ur grill ♪♫ <------------------must sing in skanky black chick voice

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bigx5murf For This Useful Post:

Phatmiata (09-02-2013)

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone wannafbody's Avatar
    Thanks Given
    Maybe painting the intercooler black would look better

Mod Squad
    Drives
    2016 Ceramic GT
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Looks black to me One could probably mount it "backwards" to hide the lettering. I don't think the orientation matters.

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    I have the older version, it had the logo silkscreened on both sides. Yes the newer ones you can flip them around for complete stealth.

A part of me is contemplating swapping this z-line out for the new J-line just released.

Admin / Pit Boss / Miataholic Phatmiata's Avatar
    Drives
    Kirin the '93LE Roadster #1073
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,521 Times in 4,642 Posts

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    How much did ya pay for te intercooler? I was looking at the same one for mine but in plain style.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatmiata View Post
    I saw that on their fb yesterday, which is why I started thinking about upgrading. But if I've gotta "fab" new brackets f that!

Quote Originally Posted by SM16RMSM View Post
    How much did ya pay for te intercooler? I was looking at the same one for mine but in plain style.
    Around $100, looks like their prices went up since.

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    I have the exact same intercooler in my car and you can mount it higher. Just FYI

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone SM16RMSM's Avatar
    Drives
    VR 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
    Thanks Given
    Hyper, are you running a aftermarket turbo kit or a MSM kit? We can't move our stock tubing. I can't see how to raise the intercooler up with the way our pipes are placed. Not to mention that the power steering lines will also have to be moved.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the BS story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.” ― Jordan Belfort

The Daily Driven Warrior - A MSM Build Thread

Drives
    VR 2004 MSM
    Thanks Given
    I don't even think there's a benefit to moving them. I autox'd last summer in 115F ambient temps. My BATs were like ~135F

4,000 rpm - entering the fun zone Hyper's Avatar
    Drives
    Black NB Miata
    Thanks Given
    Quote Originally Posted by bigx5murf View Post
    I don't even think there's a benefit to moving them. I autox'd last summer in 115F ambient temps. My BATs were like ~135F
    dude how can you say that. in fact I am surprised since the intercooler sits lower the higher the chance to get damaged flus I don't know how is the airflow with this mounting. FYI, I am not running the MSM piping. I am using FM intercooler hoses that come standard in the FMII kit. A bunch of pics can be seen here.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/mem...-roadster.html